If electronics were legal...

I agree - first things first. After witnessing what I saw in 2006, I'm not convinced that the judges are capable of evaluating amplification in a competitive context, much less electronic instruments.

Is judging amp use even spelled out in the DCI rule book? So far all I seen posted is very generic "used effectively" which says basically nothing.

s/ Guy who saw 2006 Cadets from the 5 yardline and couldn't hear squat from the amp.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just in case the OP's question hadn't been answered clearly, bass guitars would likely NOT be allowed. It's an amplified stringed instrument, making it illegal. If electronics were to be passed, I would make the assumption that a bass guitar would not be allowed, but a guitar style midi input playing guitar samples would be legal.

Talk about gray...

Edited by drumcat

And just in case the OP's question hadn't been answered clearly, bass guitars would likely NOT be allowed. It's an amplified stringed instrument, making it illegal. If electronics were to be passed, I would make the assumption that a bass guitar would not be allowed, but a guitar style midi input playing guitar samples would be legal.

Talk about gray...

Maybe its just me, but do we really NEED this?

I say drum corps do electronics, drum corps as a whole will do a geat job of it, it would be done well and maybe really surprise us on what crazy thing a corps can come up with.

Some marching bands becauce of money, time, lack experience, bad band directors, bad performers can do it badly. I know what the old time corps members/ fan say about electronic in marching bands, most bands do crumy shows out there all the time, the bands suck with electronics or without electronics . Some marching band I've see just don't have a clue, and the spectators run to get a Coke and a hotdog. But some marching band really go out of their way to do it really cool show-- music, and drill .

I know drum corps is going to do it well.

Even the worst drum corps is better than the average marching band.

Electronic should be used to bring in "new sounds", not to replace or double as a horn or timpani or whatver is out there now. If you need a marimba sound (for an example) out there, you don't have the electronic keyboard replace the marimba, you have a real 4 1/3 octave marimba out there. The electronic keyboard is to be use only for new sounds, guitars would be a new sound, electronic drums would be a new sound.

Also think of the big music manufactures companys ( new sponsors) that drum corps could bring in Casio, Fender,D Drum, Gibson, Ibanez, Kat Pads, Guitar Center(music store). and more companys, would give corps free or near free stuff, and the newest and best equipment

Sponsor drum corps shows maybe, bring more bid time sponsor into drum corps, This would open a side of the music industry that drum corps has never used or thought of.

Just think Blue Devils, Cadet , Cavalier, Arizona Academy, and other corps use the Rickenbacker 360/12 12-String Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar on 2008 tour. See the quitar used by the lead guitar solos from the Blue Devils,and Spartan on display at your local Guitar Center.

Just think ----just after drum corps tour a guitar player of the Blue Devils goes on a world tour with Van Halen as a lead guitar soloist or something, and is making cool music video on MTV and VH1, helping the image of drum corps being cool. and he also plays face melting solos for the Blue Devils.

Think big.

If it doesn't work out, you can alway get rid of electonics, try it for two years or something.

Floatdude

I say drum corps do electronics, drum corps as a whole will do a geat job of it, it would be done well and maybe really surprise us on what crazy thing a corps can come up with.

Some marching bands becauce of money, time, lack experience, bad band directors, bad performers can do it badly. I know what the old time corps members/ fan say about electronic in marching bands, most bands do crumy shows out there all the time, the bands suck with electronics or without electronics . Some marching band I've see just don't have a clue, and the spectators run to get a Coke and a hotdog. But some marching band really go out of their way to do it really cool show-- music, and drill .

I know drum corps is going to do it well.

Even the worst drum corps is better than the average marching band.

Electronic should be used to bring in "new sounds", not to replace or double as a horn or timpani or whatver is out there now. If you need a marimba sound (for an example) out there, you don't have the electronic keyboard replace the marimba, you have a real 4 1/3 octave marimba out there. The electronic keyboard is to be use only for new sounds, guitars would be a new sound, electronic drums would be a new sound.

Also think of the big music manufactures companys ( new sponsors) that drum corps could bring in Casio, Fender,D Drum, Gibson, Ibanez, Kat Pads, Guitar Center(music store). and more companys, would give corps free or near free stuff, and the newest and best equipment

Sponsor drum corps shows maybe, bring more bid time sponsor into drum corps, This would open a side of the music industry that drum corps has never used or thought of.

Just think Blue Devils, Cadet , Cavalier, Arizona Academy, and other corps use the Rickenbacker 360/12 12-String Semi-Hollowbody Electric Guitar on 2008 tour. See the quitar used by the lead guitar solos from the Blue Devils,and Spartan on display at your local Guitar Center.

Just think ----just after drum corps tour a guitar player of the Blue Devils goes on a world tour with Van Halen as a lead guitar soloist or something, and is making cool music video on MTV and VH1, helping the image of drum corps being cool. and he also plays face melting solos for the Blue Devils.

Think big.

If it doesn't work out, you can alway get rid of electonics, try it for two years or something.

Floatdude

Its nice to see that you are thinking outside the box. The sponsorship possibilities are something I didn't think of.

But still, The day a corps has a guitar soloist is the day I stop going to drum corps shows.

No matter how well it is done, its just not what I want to pay to see.

I may be alone on this, and I was dead set against amps in the first place, but I really think everytime they fiddle with the instrumentation rules, add more instruments, add amps and so on, a little piece of the activity dies.

I love drum corps for what makes it unique.

I am just not interested in seeing it turn into marching band.

I can go see good marching bands, and there are plenty out there.

I accept band for what it is.

I just want corps to make some small effort to maintain its identity.

Maybe I just don't get it.

OH MY GOD! Maybe I am finally old LOL

OH MY GOD! Maybe I am finally old LOL

Dude, you became old when you picked-up a G horn and enjoyed it. :P

This is all happening because back in the day Hopkins and Gibbs stated

(to a former director who I have spoken with) they are bored with traditional Drum Corps and so are their kids.

I say to Hopkins what that former director said to him. If you hate Drum Corps so much, why don't you get the bleep out?! You have taken something that is unique and are making it into something that is common and mediocre.

Edited by Marty Ackerman

This is all happening because back in the day Hopkins and Gibbs stated

(to a former director who I have spoken with) they are bored with traditional Drum Corps and so are their kids.

I say to Hopkins what that former director said to him. If you hate Drum Corps so much, why don't you get the bleep out?! You have taken something that is unique and are making it into something that is common and mediocre.

If you think modern drum corps are common and mediocre, I feel very sorry for you. Get over yourself.

In your little quote, this former director you speak of, well let me just state that I'm glad he's a FORMER director. He obviously must be very old fashioned. Hopkins and Gibbs never said anything about hating drum corps, they just said they were bored with traditional drum corps, as were the kids.

If you think modern drum corps are common and mediocre, I feel very sorry for you. Get over yourself.

In your little quote, this former director you speak of, well let me just state that I'm glad he's a FORMER director. He obviously must be very old fashioned. Hopkins and Gibbs never said anything about hating drum corps, they just said they were bored with traditional drum corps, as were the kids.

I didn't mean that the performances are mediocre. but turning a once unique idiom into marching band is.

and the former director wasn't old fashioned. he just felt that drum corps wasn't broken, so

it didn't need to be fixed.

Edited by Marty Ackerman

Bored with traditional drum corps...hah! That's a good one! I don't think I could ever be bored of a great hornline, drumline, and pit playing some amazing music marching some amazing drill with a great colorguard to go along. If you can ever get bored of that, maybe you should find another activity to be a fan of.