Time to Put Up or ...

So, I have this bad habit of rambling on about what corps should do in terms of marketing or merchandising without actually getting in there and doing something.

I guess it's time for me to start put up or shut up and actually throw out some unsolicited work, in addition to unsolicited advice. B)

I figured a place to start with would be merchandising. We'd pick a group... design some stuff... move on to another group... and so on. Crossmen seemed to be a nice place to start.

I kicked around some concepts with the team here today and ran through some drafts. I thought this might be a good place to 'dogfood' it... so, here goes Concept #1.

xmen_morph_heather.jpg

Heather

xmen_morph_sage.jpg

Sage

xmen_morph_sand.jpg

Sand

xmen_morph_sky.jpg

Sky

xmen_morph_slate.jpg

Slate

xmen_morph_white.jpg

White

Thoughts...???

Edited by danielray

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the black one. Now make it a strappy tank top and I'd buy it in a minute.

I am not a logo person, and I prefer items that look more like everyday clothing so that I can wear them more often. I was looking just yesterday at the latest in Xmen gear and I don't like ANY of the new stuff.

I remember seeing a strappy tank last year in Allentown at a booth. I think it was SCV- that had hibiscus flowers on it. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.

As would I.

While I like it and agree that it's nice to have some options that make subtler use of corps' logos and names, I'm wondering if this would be a bit vague for the average drum corps show attendee. I get the butterfly as the metamorphosis/reincarnation/new start for the Crossmen but wonder if enough show attendees will to the point of wanting to part with $20 to buy it. It might need a tagline like "Metamorphosis", "A New Beginning" or "Rebirth". Even then, I think it might be a better seller to women with very little interest from men.

I'm also wondering if there is a way to incorporate the Maltese cross into the butterfly design. Maybe the red dots on the lower wings could be small crosses. Otherwise, any refernce to the Crossmen is eliminated everytime someone tucks this shirt into their pants.

None of this is meant to take away from your beautiful design and thought put into your efforts. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to "test the dogfood".

Edited by marshamello

It might need a tagline like "Metamorphosis", "A New Beginning" or "Rebirth".

I'll disagree. IMO only, I think taglines are tacky, they make a shirt too busy. My favorite drum corps shirt is also the most simple: it's a Blue Knights shirt, just a white T with the triangle of dots that they had one their uniform in the 90's. You can wear it anywhere, drum corps fans will get what it is, and lay people will think it's a neat design. I got a compliment once from my girlfriend's uncle, who didn't know a thing about DCI, but liked the shirt. I think if you add a tagline, you narrow the appeal of the shirt. If you leave it as is, with the logo alone, you have a much more versatile product.

Thanks for throwing this out here Daniel, I look forward to seeing other ideas you come up with.

Edited by Maedhros

I liked your ideas! Here's a shirt I'd like to see this year. I should state that I am in no way affiliated with the Madison Scouts - just a big fan!

FRONT:

MadFront.jpg

BACK Image edited for language content - sorry

MadBack.jpg

Edited by Jazzycat1

Could you make it in Bronzeberry Frost?

Nice work! I love it!