scv 2007 drumline

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, i have a newbie question....(i'm an idiot when it comes to perc)

is it a problem to have a center who is really short?

Only if you believe in making all the drums the same height, like some corps do.

Otherwise, no.

It's good thing they have a 16 year old. Last years center snare was local kid who rose through the ranks from the Cadet corps. He was first asked to march in the 2004 line and he decided himself he was not ready mentally for the challenge. I disagreed with that believing he would asymulate into line in a short while. Never the less his remaining years he marched the A line. I believe he was in the corps 5 plus years total before aging out. The traditions are most firmly engrained into the Cadets. That being said he was a perfect example of a leader within the organization. A mature, good natured, humble gentleman with monster chops and performed with massive intensity. A true JONEZ.

Point is hopefully this new 16 year old will have a long successful career in the corps.

About Rob. I marched with him in the line in '78. Yup his hands rested on a completely different nervouse system that could not be matched. His storied history in the corps is well known and if ever another young prodogy such as him came along it would be recieved very well.

Mom

About Rob. I marched with him in the line in '78. Yup his hands rested on a completely different nervouse system that could not be matched. His storied history in the corps is well known and if ever another young prodogy such as him came along it would be recieved very well.

Mom

He's also a great guy; he's the drum guy at my high school. I marched brass so I didn't work with him much, but he was always really nice to me and when he found out I was going out for SCV, he gave me full support, even though I didn't march in the band this year.

Just wanted to throw that out there. :)

young line... one age out, I think?

~>conner

Not to sound like a crotchety old man, but...

Why do the majority of current day drumline exercises take the form of songs? Why the disdain for working a single element, with a few reprised variations, over and over and over and over?

On topic... seems strange to see an SCV line playing low and flow and all wrist, yet with opened triplet rather than strict 32nd interpretation. Neither good nor bad, just odd.

With that said, nice to see a bunch of young guys and a relaxed vibe. While there was a good deal of fuzz throughout, they should be pretty serious if they stick together for two to three years. It would be nice to see the SCV perc. program built up again to consistent greatness... consistent, SUSTAINED greatness. It's been a while!

Why do the majority of current day drumline exercises take the form of songs? Why the disdain for working a single element, with a few reprised variations, over and over and over and over?

That's boring. Why not have fun while busting your chops?

Besides, doesn't this video show them doing exactly what you ask for? They are doing every grid variation of diddles, then incorporating accents, over and over and over again. I prefer some thing like this over standard triplet diddle exercises (check-diddle-check-drag-check-5 stroke-check tap roll-check-roll...ad nauseum)

Because in a show you don't play isolated elements. You play a string of them. Why not have exercises that work on this ability?