scv 2007 drumline

That's boring. Why not have fun while busting your chops?

Besides, doesn't this video show them doing exactly what you ask for? They are doing every grid variation of diddles, then incorporating accents, over and over and over again. I prefer some thing like this over standard triplet diddle exercises (check-diddle-check-drag-check-5 stroke-check tap roll-check-roll...ad nauseum)

Based on the video, I'd be working triplet diddle alone over and over and over and over and over before proceeding to the gridded and dynamic variations. Who cares if it's boring.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When your at this level your already way beyond isolating basics. The staff knows before they even showed up for tryouts they should have been taken care of those things while playing in another line. This is the big leagues here.

. . .

Mom

You're not really buying that, are you... Mom?

You gotta admit.... for their age... pretty freakin good for February. And the HS's the younger ones are coming from aren't exactly blow off schools either...

You gotta admit.... for their age... pretty freakin good for February. And the HS's the younger ones are coming from aren't exactly blow off schools either...

Hey, I'm glad you followed up my posts with that. I was a bit defensive in my responses, and probably came off critical.

The majority of what I saw in that vid WAS POSITIVE. Yup, there's a good deal of fuzz throughout and they have a lot of work to do, but I'm sure that's nothing they don't already know (and I'm breaking a cardinal rule of never judging anything based on a recording). More important -- at least to me -- was you the fact you could see these kids have some hands, they're handling the wrist technique pretty well, and when they're on, the quality of sound ain't bad. Off topic, I HATE Kevlar, yet I kind of like the snare tuning.

MOST important is the fact that you can tell these kids are having a good time just by their intros. The staff appears to have setup an environment for success, and these kids are mucho young almost across the board... and having FUN! That's a way to build an excellent program.

The talent levels are getting much younger these days...since "feeder corps", i.e. B corps are rare, the kids are forced to progress at a younger age. Note: Scott Johnson was 18 in '76.

I hope the tall dude watches this video and stands with his head straight in the next one.

Oh no. He's gonna read that.

But I know other people have made the same comment too.

Watch, the whole line will be doing it next time. If they can't tilt their drums atleast let them tilt their heads. Ha.

Mom

I think it Rocks that the center snare is female!

However, that line is VERY young, and down the line, that is going to hurt them. They'll be pretty darn good, but they won't be winning high drums.

Anyone else seem worried that SCV can't recruit like they used to (older more experienced members? If they don't have a good year in '07, I'm not sure where they will go. I think their management issues are really starting to show.

Wow - you took a lot from that short video. They are not THAT young (average age 18-19 probably), and they sound pretty darn good to this bari player. I find the fact that several of these kids are young to be a testament to the terrific abilities of these kids - not an indication that the corps isn't attracting talent. The 88 corps was exceedingly young and if memory serves they did alright.