scv 2007 drumline

Wow - you took a lot from that short video. They are not THAT young (average age 18-19 probably), and they sound pretty darn good to this bari player. I find the fact that several of these kids are young to be a testament to the terrific abilities of these kids - not an indication that the corps isn't attracting talent. The 88 corps was exceedingly young and if memory serves they did alright.

What Jon said. I'd much rather have a talented 17-year-old for five years than have to recruit five rook-outs in five years. The youth of the line is a feature, not a bug. A big part of SCV's internal "mythology" is the 1984 hornline--five veterans (including Jeff Pearson), 12 nothings (including Rick Valenzuela), and a whopping 45 rookies. Oh, and by the way, SCV's first Jim Ott trophy (in a nutshell, we were too young and stupid to realize it was supposed to be a rebuilding year). That hornline stayed largely intact through 1987, too.

I'm not saying that because this drumline is young, they are therefore guaranteed to be great. In fact the odds are probably against it. I'm just saying that the opposite is definitely untrue.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch, the whole line will be doing it next time. If they can't tilt their drums atleast let them tilt their heads. Ha.

I saw alot of head-tilting last year, too. I miss the tilted drums alot. And to be honest, I really liked the matched drums as well.

PS, on the topic of them being so young:

There's a 15/16 year old (sophomore in HS) in the tenor line as well.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

Ever notice how low the front of the hats are worn over the front brow. Tough to see but looks tight. Especially when they arch the neck downward.

Mom

I was really impressed and happy to see the progress that was made last year. The line was crispy clean and was really communicating the musical phrasing beautifully.

This year should be most excellent year IMHO. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check them out at this weekends camp.

Mom

I’m guessing this is a hype thread and that most people that are not into hyping this line based upon this video alone are not welcome to comment

Again, hope they stick together but I’m sure many drummers are seeing many things…

Or is this part of the mental toughness part where we break it down and talk about seeing them play the accents in their shoulders and necks or where they are …..

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?

With regards to the low and flow comment above, that's just how the part is written. If it was written at FF, you'd see windshield wipers for stick heights. :doh: The technique hasn't changed from last year.

I'm not sure he meant that the technique has changed since last year, but it certainly has changed from what Murray, Jim, Lee Rudnicki, Scott Johnson, and Ralph taught. From 88 to just recently scv played with a much more legato style. The style in the vid seems to be using a lot of downstroke muscle, which is very un-scv-like, traditionally speaking...not that change is a bad thing, but I think the first guy was just pointing out the difference. I even heard Katerina (sp) mention that the style changed when MJ took over...

I'm not sure he meant that the technique has changed since last year, but it certainly has changed from what Murray, Jim, Lee Rudnicki, Scott Johnson, and Ralph taught. From 88 to just recently scv played with a much more legato style. The style in the vid seems to be using a lot of downstroke muscle, which is very un-scv-like, traditionally speaking...not that change is a bad thing, but I think the first guy was just pointing out the difference. I even heard Katerina (sp) mention that the style changed when MJ took over...

Yes, MJ's style is different than the previous styles but it is actually more relaxed than the others' mentioned. This video is not a good representation of it because the taps are supposed to be at mp therefore not needing any arm movement not to mention that it's clipping along. I think eventually, you'll see that the technique is very much free and relaxed. Arm motion is only used as needed but definitely encouraged. So, just hang tight. Oh and btw, both of the snare techs marched either with or under all the names mentioned previously so the SCV tradition is definitely alive and well. Either way, it'll be fun to see how they turn out.

Now that I think of it, A few months ago I was talking to the bass tech when he said that MJ wanted to unify the style a little more this year, however that the technique used would still have the same feel for the players. Also, Murray changed the style some in 04, and ALOT more in 2005 (im not simply talking about matched grip). If you watch the snares from that year, they used a MASSIVE 3 finger fulcrum. MJ changed it back pretty close to what it was, and now is adding his own influences. Anyways, Im confident that we will see SCV massively throwin' it down this year, as always.

I’m guessing this is a hype thread and that most people that are not into hyping this line based upon this video alone are not welcome to comment

Again, hope they stick together but I’m sure many drummers are seeing many things…

Or is this part of the mental toughness part where we break it down and talk about seeing them play the accents in their shoulders and necks or where they are …..

WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?

Gee, I wonder why more corps don't post camp videos?