Maybe Supporting Pioneer Makes Sense For Some

Since every discussion seems to wander into the G vs Bb realm as of late, I thought maybe action should accompany all the words.

For all the staunch advocates of the key of "G," you have a corps to support. Put your dollars behind Pioneer. They are Div. I, they still play G bugles. I know folks at Pioneer and although they are not a corps with current debt, they also do not have tons of cash at the ready for new buses, etc.

So, I was thinking what if the "G" advocates among us sent their dollars and suport to Pioneer. Imagine if, with the tons of new support they would receive, would be able to climb the standings and truly become the next DCI Super Corps.

Come on...show the power and might behind all the words in support of the G bugle! Put those dollars to work for Pioneer.

Once Pioneer was climbing to the top, wouldn't other corps offer to switch back to G in exchange for this kind of support? It would be like a freakin' revolution in drum corps. Away from Bb and a return to the purity and perfection of G.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wonderful idea Tom! Lets see the almighty "G" horn get some backing other than words! :P

Edited by geluf

My question is how much longer the instument company's will still produce the G's. I love'em, but if they don't make'em, we can't buy'em.

My question is how much longer the instument company's will still produce the G's. I love'em, but if they don't make'em, we can't buy'em.

The Marines get brand-new G bugles (and 2-valve ones at that!) from Kanstul whenever they want.

Kanstul, and I'm sure Dynasty, makes-to-order. At least with Kanstul, they produce all of their horns in batches anyway, so they would just schedule a set of G Bugles into their next available opening.

Bandettes/SteelTown Brass is still G!!!

G bugles were always a niche market, custom made line anyway. Olds, Getzen, King, etc., always made way more Bb trumpets than G bugles, especially in the era of 1V, P/R and 2V bugles.

And as stated above, they will still make them to order. You got the money, they'll make the horns. It's pretty much a difference in tubing length...G bugles are longer. Kanstul and Dynasty have the tooling to make 'em.

Garry in Vegas

Since every discussion seems to wander into the G vs Bb realm as of late, I thought maybe action should accompany all the words.

For all the staunch advocates of the key of "G," you have a corps to support. Put your dollars behind Pioneer. They are Div. I, they still play G bugles. I know folks at Pioneer and although they are not a corps with current debt, they also do not have tons of cash at the ready for new buses, etc.

So, I was thinking what if the "G" advocates among us sent their dollars and suport to Pioneer. Imagine if, with the tons of new support they would receive, would be able to climb the standings and truly become the next DCI Super Corps.

Come on...show the power and might behind all the words in support of the G bugle! Put those dollars to work for Pioneer.

Once Pioneer was climbing to the top, wouldn't other corps offer to switch back to G in exchange for this kind of support? It would be like a freakin' revolution in drum corps. Away from Bb and a return to the purity and perfection of G.

Been There! Done That! Didn't work. I supported the Troopers and we see where that went.

Not to mention. They could have all the money ever printed and DCI "Ajudicators" would NEVER allow them to rise beyond a certian level. No matter how well they did.

They will in time be Bb.

Lucy,

Except that Troopers inactivity was due in NO part to their using, playing or planning to purchase G bugles... other than that, you might have a leg to stand on.

I tend to agree with Tom, though. Pioneer has been G, plans to stay G and still their support and membership continue to decline. I love them, I think their kids are great but the "adjudicators" have nothing to do with their placement or scores other than giving them what they EARN.

Or maybe you think they should get extra points for being "old school" in their instrumentation and programming styles?

Stef