Maybe Supporting Pioneer Makes Sense For Some

What makes any of you so certain that Pioneer will remain on G horns?

I don't recall the Pioneer organization or anyone within it making any public declaration of commitment to staying G long-term. And even if someone did, they'd still be one personnel change away from doing an about-face on the concept.

Remeber, Troopers made a big fuss about staying G long-term, buying a new set of G horns in 2004. A huge fund drive was conducted, soliciting donors with the very same slant of this thread. Two years later, new staff switched them to Bb/F.

Do any of you really believe such donors are willing to risk being burned twice?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no reason a corps should still be using G bugles, especially a division 1.

I like the quote in your sig, Einstein.

A couple weeks ago, just before I was to perform in a symphony concert on a F/Bb Conn 8D (french horn), I pulled out one of my G Kanstul sopranos and doodled a few famous drum corps solos. While I was playing the 89 PR sop solos from Going Home, a well known musician/composer from the Los Angeles area heard me playing, walked over to me and commented on my "lush, dark and beautiful tone" (his words). He then noticed that I wasn't playing a trumpet and asked "what kind of horn is that?"

I said "a G bugle".

Edited by ravedodger

In the right hands any instrument sounds wonderful. I myself perfer Bflat but whenever I watch old DCI videos, I'm amazed at how well the G horns sound with certain corps. Don't throw your money behind them so they can continue to have G horns; throw your money behind them so they can get the best possible education so they can play the best!

Been There! Done That! Didn't work. I supported the Troopers and we see where that went.

Not to mention. They could have all the money ever printed and DCI "Ajudicators" would NEVER allow them to rise beyond a certian level. No matter how well they did.

They will in time be Bb.

UFOs! UFOs! The sky is falling!

Don't throw your money behind them so they can continue to have G horns; throw your money behind them so they can get the best possible education so they can play the best!

Word. That is one of the major points of drum corps, isn't it? Getting an education in a spectacular activity.

There is absolutely no reason a corps should still be using G bugles, especially a division 1.

Why not? What if a corps director prefers G bugles and feels that they sound better than Bb/F instruments? One form of instrumentation isn't ineherently better than the other.