Maybe Supporting Pioneer Makes Sense For Some

UFOs! UFOs! The sky is falling!

To you, and you smart a.. remark.

Pioneer has made NO indication they would be staying "G". I would be VERY surprised if they did. It would not be a good move (staying G) if they plan on staying in DCI. That would almost guarantee a very low standing each year.

I say support the group of your choice. BUT, don't try and make people think anyone is going to be or do something because "you" think they "may" do something.

------------------------------------------------------------

To Scribe:

The Troopers put on a HUGE campaign to collect money stating they were going to STAY - "G", about 3 or 4 or more years ago.

I believed them and SUPPORTED them for that reason.

Now they have seen that was just not going to work. I can not blame them at all. They needed to do what they have done in order to be Competitive. So a year off, and other improvements later. They will be back! No harm done.

Good Luck Troopers!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is Wouldn't an increase in their money push them to buy new instruments......specifically Bb instruments? Makes sense to me. More money = better horns.

I don't think that G is the reason to support Pioneer. But if that is one way for you to justify your support of them, then do it.

I also don't think switching keys would give them an edge in the scoring dept. I feel that getting members is difficult for Pioneer, given the fact they play Irish themed music every year. Another problem for them is the fact they have placed in the bottom 2 for 5 consecutive years. Most people, when auditioning for corps, tend to look for higher placing corps.

Personally I don't think they should change the music they play, as long as they continue to field a corps and the members are enjoying themselves and getting a great experience out of the summer. And the membership retention from what I understand is lower than most corps, since alot of members use Pioneer to gain experience, and then in the future audition for other corps. The geographic location probably doesn't help them either, with so many DI corps in that 3 state area-Cavies, Colts, Phantom, Blue Stars, Madison Scouts, as well as some DII/III and senior corps.

Pioneer brings an entertaining show to the field, with music that doesn't usually sound like anyone else that year. I think the talent level is very good with the corps, and the fact that many of their members end up marching in a higher placing corps in the following year proves that fact. I really think if their retention level were higher, they could easily be a top 12 contender. But during quarterfinals when I see Pioneer, and really enjoy their show, and then realize that the next 22 corps are potentially going to be even better, it is awesome.

Best of luck to Pioneer, no matter what key your horns are in. and if keeping G's gets you even more in financial support, even better.

Word. That is one of the major points of drum corps, isn't it? Getting an education in a spectacular activity.

yeah the education part is pretty important. many people may not see the education part at first. however quality must be number one in drum corps or anything else.

Come on...show the power and might behind all the words in support of the G bugle! Put those dollars to work for Pioneer.

Once Pioneer was climbing to the top, wouldn't other corps offer to switch back to G in exchange for this kind of support? It would be like a freakin' revolution in drum corps. Away from Bb and a return to the purity and perfection of G.

i forgot to add this stuff to my earlier post:

brass is only 1/3 of the product on the field. they can only get so far with a great hornline who just happens to play on a G horn if the rest of the corps isn't at the same caliber. also, if they did make a climb for the upper tier, i doubt anyone/ everyone would say it's because they use G horns; it's because they are that #### good!

I like the quote in your sig, Einstein.

A couple weeks ago, just before I was to perform in a symphony concert on a F/Bb Conn 8D (french horn), I pulled out one of my G Kanstul sopranos and doodled a few famous drum corps solos. While I was playing the 89 PR sop solos from Going Home, a well known musician/composer from the Los Angeles area heard me playing, walked over to me and commented on my "lush, dark and beautiful tone" (his words). He then noticed that I wasn't playing a trumpet and asked "what kind of horn is that?"

I said "a G bugle".

Just remember, some people have the idea that if something is different from what they're used to then it must be wrong.....

G Bugles - not wrong.... just different. :)

Been There! Done That! Didn't work. I supported the Troopers and we see where that went.

Not to mention. They could have all the money ever printed and DCI "Ajudicators" would NEVER allow them to rise beyond a certian level. No matter how well they did.

They will in time be Bb.

I thought I saw on DCP just after Christmas that the TROOP bought a complete set of Bb horns !!

Edited by ODBC

Why not? What if a corps director prefers G bugles and feels that they sound better than Bb/F instruments? One form of instrumentation isn't ineherently better than the other.

1) It's not the corps director's place to decide on what is best for the hornline, that's the Brass Caption Head's job. The director only decides if it is financially in the best interest of the corps.

2) The horn is not what makes the sound, rather the brass staff's teaching of the members. It has nothing to do with how they sound but the quality of the instruments themselves. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Pioneer's horns are probably pretty old.

3) While the numbers and judges aren't the be-all-end-all purpose for anyone to do drum corps, it is still the staff's job to make sure that their members are provided with all the opportunities to be a competitive and thriving unit. What's going to help this? That's right, Bb horns.

Hmm...you must have skipped over my post. :worthy:

Just remember, some people have the idea that if something is different from what they're used to then it must be wrong.....

G Bugles - not wrong.... just different. :)

It is only that. Different.

Thank you. :)

1) It's not the corps director's place to decide on what is best for the hornline, that's the Brass Caption Head's job. The director only decides if it is financially in the best interest of the corps.

Actually, isn't that the BOD's duty? Just asking.