What are we doing here?

There was a show in NY (Hornell? Ft. Edward?) (please don't be offended if this is your favorite show!) held at a local baseball diamond.

The front line was parked near the pitchers mound, and the corps was mostly in the outfield, but the crowd was seated in the stands, @ 50 yards away from the corps at the closest. Lights were few, bugs were many.

A very wierd venue... was there NO football field to use?

That's the Ft. Edwards show alright. Yeah the press box is off center and the baseball diamond makes things very interesting. :worthy:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did a show in 2003 for Kiwanis that was somewhere in Canada... and the field was some horse pasture or something (kinda like the cow pasture someone already said). It wasn't WIDE enough though... I seem to remember maybe there was a fence that cut off the back sideline so it made it short. I can't remember how much shorter it was. There WERE bleachers but they were on some kind of trailor. There were probably 50 or less people there. Anyone from KK remember that show that year? Maybe someone from a Div 2/3 corps that was there because KK was the only Div 1 corps.

We did a show in Wisconsin in 98. There was some sort of carnival or fair going on that night and we hung out for that. The show itself was in the day time. There were a few sets of soccer bleachers for the audience and the judges were on scaffolding. I do remember very large holes in the field as well.

There was a show in NY (Hornell? Ft. Edward?) (please don't be offended if this is your favorite show!) held at a local baseball diamond.

The front line was parked near the pitchers mound, and the corps was mostly in the outfield, but the crowd was seated in the stands, @ 50 yards away from the corps at the closest. Lights were few, bugs were many.

Ft.Edward was a baseball diamond as well as the 'Wildest Crowd in the East' Pittsfield MA show. I seem to remember at least one more, maybe Corning. Star hit all those ball diamond shows most years in the 80s. Nothing like hauling @#$ backwards in a Zingali drill only to go airborne over the pitcher's mound or find out the dirt parts of the running lines were six inches taller then the surrounding grass! Ft. Edward at least ran along one of the baselines though Pittsfield was as you describe. Despite being over 100' away and maybe 20' in the air the crowd screamed their heads off. Fun show.

I can remember going to Ft.Edward one year (87' or 88') and having zero yardlines by the time we went on. So we are on the field when they decide to take 10 minutes and reline the field! Ours and Cadet's staff run up and down the lines hand painting them while we stand by. A female judge (Judy Tomko?) came along the mellos and rubbed our shoulders to get us to relax. That was a first.

Let me take you back to 1992 - the "olden" days now, right? After just finishing D2 Prelims, not making finals, and being out as of Tuesday afternoon, we watched in Madison all week. Then, we find out that we're doing a show afterwards. The Sunday after, we ended up doing our show one last time on, of all places, a horse track at the Illinois State Fair. The pit was put in the handicapped seating, in the first row literally, and the rest of the corps did drill in such a compressed fashion vertically, it's astonishing no one got hurt.

I'm waiting for the 07 Crown show to stir those memories plenty this year. =)

We did a show in 2003 for Kiwanis that was somewhere in Canada... and the field was some horse pasture or something (kinda like the cow pasture someone already said). It wasn't WIDE enough though... I seem to remember maybe there was a fence that cut off the back sideline so it made it short. I can't remember how much shorter it was. There WERE bleachers but they were on some kind of trailor. There were probably 50 or less people there. Anyone from KK remember that show that year? Maybe someone from a Div 2/3 corps that was there because KK was the only Div 1 corps.

It was just an exhibition. But you are correct that there was a horse fence along the back, cutting off the field a bit short. Most of the forms just became compressed as they got back that way. It was certainly.... interesting....

Pittsfield Ma has the same configuration.

I also remember a show back in the 70's in Havre de Grace Md where the show was literally in a parking lot about 50 yards in length and the only about 16 steps wider than the first hash. Crowd was on a hill. About 100 people having a picnic when a drum corps show appeared out of nowhere. The judges where at the top of the hill.

No lines except for the parking spaces.

Thats the show I'll never forget.

Pittsfield Ma has the same configuration.

I also remember a show back in the 70's in Havre de Grace Md where the show was literally in a parking lot about 50 yards in length and the only about 16 steps wider than the first hash. Crowd was on a hill. About 100 people having a picnic when a drum corps show appeared out of nowhere. The judges where at the top of the hill.

No lines except for the parking spaces.

Thats the show I'll never forget.

I marched the Havre de Grace show several times. The scores were always wacked out because they did not judge M&M at all. They just gave everyone the same score in that caption. The parking lot "field" literally ended at the harbor on the backside. If you didn't watch your reduced step size......SPLASH!! :worthy: