Curious about the Academy...

My prediction is around the number 12 spot. Now look at it realistically. This corps was a really good Div 2 corps. Their marching was very good, drumline not bad, hornline decent, color guard fine, visual not the best. Now if they could have a good program and clean up every section of the show (brass, drums, color guard, visual), they could easily hit in the 80s in Div 1. Because they are Div 1, they do have more time to clean some of dirtiness from their show. I have a feeling that with careful planning, they could really do well.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the entire corps -- creative staff, instructors, and performers -- are well aware that there's a huge difference between a Div II and Div I program...and are working toward the Div I level, which is well within their grasp.

Unless they choke in Pasadena (uhhh.....nope...ain;t gonna happen), I see them cracking semis.

We also have to remember that there are several corps not competing this year who would otherwise be in the Academy's way...makes their job a little easier.

At the VERY least they'll get good exposure during the theater broadcast.

Edited by 84BDsop

In reference to someone who just recently posted that Academy will break 90 this year in Div. 1 competition, I only ask why would you think this? There are SEVERAL corps last year in finals that should have been well above the 90 mark and did not. Now, I love Academy as much as the next guy, and think they're going to be awesome in Div 1 this year, but to be so bold as to say that they'll not only make the top 12 but break 90, especially when overall scores last year for all corps were so low, is sort of a silly prediction to make. If they can clean up a lot of stuff and make some great changes, yeah, I can see them shaking things up in the 12-15 range. But 90?

In reference to someone who just recently posted that Academy will break 90 this year in Div. 1 competition, I only ask why would you think this? There are SEVERAL corps last year in finals that should have been well above the 90 mark and did not. Now, I love Academy as much as the next guy, and think they're going to be awesome in Div 1 this year, but to be so bold as to say that they'll not only make the top 12 but break 90, especially when overall scores last year for all corps were so low, is sort of a silly prediction to make. If they can clean up a lot of stuff and make some great changes, yeah, I can see them shaking things up in the 12-15 range. But 90?

Pretty sure he said 80.

Their score at Div II finals last year was 95.625...HOWEVER, the scoring differance between Div I and Div II sheets is around 15 points on average....so presuming they perform to last years level and are scored accordingly, we're looking at around the 80 mark in Pasadena for them on Div I sheets. Last year that would've put them in 17th, between Cap Reg and Mandarins...a respectable placement for a 1st year Div I corps.