Curious about the Academy...

I am amused - I see several people stating that they believe Academy will be in finals, but they are also advocating that other non-top 12 corps will make it as well.

For a new corps to get into finals, another corps has to be passed. Frankly there is no grounds for believing that Academy will be top 12 this year. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just not there. Plenty of Div 2 champions have come up in the last few years (Seattle and Magic being the most successful), and of the few that managed to make finals, none are there right now.

[Personally, I want Southwind in finals!]

Edited by raphael18

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) If that Hornline is anything like last seasons' line (still shake my head and go HOLY COW!! at that finale) and upgrade the Visual aspect of the design then we'll see. I think they'll be fine. Whether its Final, Semi-Finals or Quaters they'll be okay.

I don't see how Academy can make finals, maybe 16-17. They are at a huge competitive disadvantage being in only 12 shows (compared to about 30 for other corps) and missing the Allentown and Atlanta regionals. They have almost 3 weeks with no shows and only 2 shows the week before finals. Their competition has a show every other day that week.

Between July 29 and Aug 7 they have less shows than any corps in any division. Bluecoats, Crown and Boston each have 4. Every other Div I corps has at least 5 shows.

For the season, Pacific Crest and Mandarins have 50% more shows than Academy. Aside from those two corps and Seattle, every other division I corps has at least twice as many shows as Academy. Historically, since 1981, only twice has a corps had less than 20 shows and made finals - Blue Devils in 2000 and 2005 (13 or 14 shows), which I think were both Europe years for them. Since 2000, finalist corps almost always have 25 or more shows and never less than 22 (except BD in 2005).

I think Academy is a great organization. I was totally impressed with them last year. I think they will have a fine show this year and I am looking forward to seeing them. I think if they were coming out with a 30+ show schedule like Blue Stars did last year, that they would be a greater competitive force. But I don't think 12 shows is going to be enough.

Well I agree with you on this to some extent extra shows won't mean much. Sure it's always good to hear the judges, and get the nuts and bolts out of performing. However, do you really need 30 shows to be competitive? Sometimes that could actually hurt a corps in the fact that if you don't have enough time to fix comments from monday night to tuesday night and you get the exact same comment, how beneficial was it really? Rather than having a couple of days in between shows were you can fix everything and then the next show you have a completely new set of comments to work on.

Do I think it will hurt them, yes. But I think as long as they can fix what the judges are asking of them between shows that they can still perform and compete at a high standard. It might just hurt missing some comments from judges who at the regionals might be judging finals week.

I totally agree with Ryan. Musically, I believe this is a top 12 corps. Their drumline wasn't too shabby either, last year.

I am not going to make predictions on finals or not, but rather, make a bolder prediction. I believe this corps has a shot of hitting 90, as a score. I believe that is a very makeable and realistic goal for this corps, this year.

Frankly, the last 3 minutes are just great, but the rest of the show...well, it was enough to squeeck by and win div 2. I'm sorry, but they were no Magic 02.

That said, they are a very young corps with a lot of talent. If they can keep their members, and develop as a group they will be a force to be reckoned with in a few years.

that's of course assuming you believed they deserved to place where they did

Regardless of where Magic 02 placed - they were simply dominant on the div 2/3 tour. They were a div 1 corps competing in div 2, and it was almost comical to see the stark contrast between them and everyone else.

I think Acaemy is definitely a success story. Regardless of their placement in the upcoming season.

And I am not saying they are not going to make finals, because anything could happen, but I honestly don't see it happening. I would expect them to place somewhere between 16th and 20th. I loved their show last season, and can't wait to see what they bring this upcoming season.