DCI Uses the "Student" Word!

I understand that. I was responding to those who say that member or student is just semantics and they are interchangeable in the drum corps world. Same for "drum corps" and "marching music." I believe that DCI's selection of these newer references to the activity rather than the old is intentional for the purpose of steering DCI away from drum corps and toward marching band. As I have said in the past, I think this is appropriate as this appears to be exactly what they want. I'd rather have this than add woodwinds and still try to call it drum corps.

"Steering DCI away from DRUM CORPS":

BINGO!!!! They will not rest, or be happy until the (Junior) "Activity" (Or rather what's left of it) know as "Drum Corps" is completly destroyed.

Elphaba

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Steering DCI away from DRUM CORPS":

BINGO!!!! They will not rest, or be happy until the (Junior) "Activity" (Or rather what's left of it) know as "Drum Corps" is completly destroyed.

Elphaba

I completely agree with that statement 100%. To call it "drum corps" these days is a joke and a slap in the face to what was once a great activity. "Students," tubas, trumpets, amplification, etc........give me a break!!!

hopefully some day there will be no more "drum corps" making kids wake up after 5 hours of sleep, kick their butts all day long without any parcitular reason and yell at them for a bad performance... we'll just have "marching units" feeding kids well, letting them rest for enough time and let them enjoy their summer...

also, I can't wait to get rid of "drum corps" lovers...

hopefully some day there will be no more "drum corps" making kids wake up after 5 hours of sleep, kick their butts all day long without any parcitular reason and yell at them for a bad performance... we'll just have "marching units" feeding kids well, letting them rest for enough time and let them enjoy their summer...

I was in touring drum corps for four years. I always ate well and we didn't get yelled at for a bad performance. A bad practice, yes, but not a performance. I enjoyed EVERY summer of it. No one kicked our butts, but we worked hard. We were expected to work hard and become the best we could. If we had the nice busses that the corps lease now, we would have had more sleep too. But in four summers, I can only remember two nights were I felt like I didn't get enough sleep. So, I suggest you don't really know what you are talking about. Every member of drum corps joined of his or her own will and it wasn't the Nazi death camp you want to make it sound like.

...and settle for subpar performances. "Enjoy" is a relative term, isn't it? This isn't day care. It's drum corps. If you can't take the heat, get off the bus.

OK, I'll make it simple for you. You can just walk away, and to your nearest band program. I wish you all the sleep and good food you can handle. Have a fun and enjoyable summer!

Remember, it was drum corps before you got here. If you dislike drum corps so much, what are you doing here?

BTW, it's "particular".

Garry in Vegas

Drum corps lover

I completely agree with that statement 100%. To call it "drum corps" these days is a joke and a slap in the face to what was once a great activity. "Students," tubas, trumpets, amplification, etc........give me a break!!!

and this is a slap in the face of the kids today that are still busting their ##### just as hard if not harder than those in the "glory days" of drum corps.

When I marched not so long ago drum corps was about more than instrumentation. It was about hard work, and a group of strangers who somehow manage to become a family over 3 short months on the road, it was about performing and striving for perfection every single day even though we knew we would never reach it. If all drum corps is to you is instrumentation then fine, leave, I promise that you will not be missed.

and this is a slap in the face of the kids today that are still busting their ##### just as hard if not harder than those in the "glory days" of drum corps.

When I marched not so long ago drum corps was about more than instrumentation. It was about hard work, and a group of strangers who somehow manage to become a family over 3 short months on the road, it was about performing and striving for perfection every single day even though we knew we would never reach it. If all drum corps is to you is instrumentation then fine, leave, I promise that you will not be missed.

To me, drum corps has always been a "state of mind" rather than what instrument I played.