18th and lower placing corps

personally I'd have to go with 1984 bluecoats - 29th place after folding in 1983.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magic '06 - that drumline was pretty awesome :)

Southwind '03 was a great corps too.

1985 Knights and 1983 Boston-the two best small-corps shows ever, IMO. Check 'em out-if you can get past my terrible timpani playing in the Knights show anyway.

Magic '06 - that drumline was pretty awesome :)

Southwind '03 was a great corps too.

:)

You wouldn't know it from the placements, but SW was far better in 03 than they were in 02.

Blue stars 1999 One of the last sets of the show was very impressive

Made me smile to see this corps on the list. That was an amazing summer, I will always treasure.

There are so many great corps, that alot of really great shows don't make semi-finals. Unfortunately, some of these corps don't get the recognition they deserve.

This years 18+ corps were Southwind, Pacific Crest, Esperanza, Magic, Pioneer, and Seattle Cascades. So what were some of the highlights of these corps for you this year.

While I thought all of these corps this year put on wonderful shows, my favorite from these were Southwind and Pacific Crest. Southwinds use of 2 uniform styles was very effective. Musically I loved PC's show this year. One of my favorite visual moments was Magic using the ribbons. I really enjoyed Esperanza and Seattle Cascades, but unfortunately only got to see them live in quarterfinals. Pioneer I saw 6 times, the most of any of these corps. I think Pioneer has been improving each year for the last 3 years. It would be nice to see them perfroming to the level of their mid 90's shows.

In the past years, some of my favorite 18th and below shows include

2000 Jersey Surf Reincarmenation was an absolutely amazing show.

96 Nite Express Loved the music from First Knight, although their finals week performances were not the best of the season.

99 Les Etoiles Other than being nervous someone in the guard was going to fall off of the scaffolding, an absolutely amazing show.

Patriots 99. The 40 yard hammer toss was just one of the many amazing parts of this show

Patriots 00 Wow, this show just had so much, and the guardwork with the dancers was always so much fun to watch. Such originality.

Tarheel Sun 99 and 00. I can't figure out how these last 2 shows of Tarheel Sun placed last each year. I really felt both of these shows were better than any other show that didn't make semi's.

So what are some of your favorite moments and shows from corps not placing in the top 17?

Wow...I have so many 18 - 24 placed corps performances that I love. Just a couple off the top of my head would be

1999 - Southwind (My favorite show from them by the way...)

2001 - Spirit, Blue Knights

2003 - Seattle Cascades (One of my favs from them...love that Mexicana sound), Colts,

2005 - Crossmen

2006 - Magic, Blue Stars (Could have done without narration though), Crossmen, Pacific Crest (Favorite PC show for me)

A quick special note regarding The Magic. I really enjoyed their corps in 2006. From the first time I saw them at the end of June in Allentown til quart. finals I was cheering them on all the way. Why ?? I enjoyed their musical choices and the corps played with a tremendous amount of heart and emotion. A good example of that would be when I saw them at Giant Stadium. The crowd REALLY DUG them. You could feel the emotion bouncing back and forth between the corps and crowd. Some of the Big Boys on the bill that night (ie Cavaliers, Bluecoats) did not receive even 1/3 of the interaction/response that The Magic did.....

To all those who don't show up to quarter or semi-finals until the 13th from last corps goes on .....you are missing out on some AMAZING drum corps........

My first thoughts were old school.

Boston Crusaders 1977, 1979 - 1977 DCI prelims was amazing. The corps was solid throughout the first half of the show, really caught fire with the crowd in Hava Nagila, and drove the crowd wild during Conquest. 1979 - Got A LOT of mileage out of 29 or so horns.

1976 Racine Kilties - One show sticks out - Midwest Prelims at UW-Whitewater. The kids were solid in Knightsbridge March and Holy John, really caught fire during Roll Over Beethoven and got the crowd going, and rode that crowd response through the last notes of Syne. Most of the crowd was standing and cheering from the end of concert through the end of the show.

To all those who don't show up to quarter or semi-finals until the 13th from last corps goes on .....you are missing out on some AMAZING drum corps........

Which is why if I go to Pasadena, it will be for quarter-finals. IMO, the performances from the 19-23 corps are awesome because they know it's their last show of the year and they pour their hearts into it; the 15-18 corps are battling to get a semis spot; same for 10-14 at semis trying to make the finals spot; same for 15-17 as their last show at semis.

There's more to the show than top-12. I just wish DCI would realize that fact.

Garry in Vegas

I've only watched a small section of this show via the 88 PBS video. The final push at the end with the company front looked pretty intense for such a small corps, especially the DM with his " YES YES OH " and then bow to the crowd :) .

I would love to see the rest of this show along with the Ventures and the Emerald Knights from that year. Hopefully oneday we might see a Legacy 13-21/25 dvd collection come out or at least some APDs.

Southwind 2006

Patriots 1999 Guard and Drumline were the standouts.

Blue stars 1999 One of the last sets of the show was very impressive

Avant Garde 1985 Great music

Pacific Crest 2004

don't forgot that there were a ton of great shows outside the top 25 back then. More corps and shows to choose from.