scv cymbals

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There never seems to be a shortage of hype for the snares/tenors/basses.

I wouldn't ever say there is enough hype for basses. It is a snare and tenor world out there. Although not as much as cymbals, basses are still way lower than snare and tenors as a "glory" instrument.

I wouldn't ever say there is enough hype for basses. It is a snare and tenor world out there. Although not as much as cymbals, basses are still way lower than snare and tenors as a "glory" instrument.

i agree with you there...but for me if a drumline doesn't have a decent bassline i never seem to like the line really...

but i think basslines need more hype.

love cymbal lines! Colts, Madison, and of course Spirit (just to name a few) (no disrespect to any other corps not mentioned). I wish more corps would bring them back. With 150 members, now there is no reason. Unfortunately we are now in an era where the percussion caption heads who are now making the decisions, came up through drum corps without cymbal lines. They see the advantages of having another mallet player as more beneficial, however, I can tell you from being a one-time, 14 year old, aspiring drummer, who didn't make it on snare, tenor or bass...thank goodness for the cymbal line. The cymbal line was my ticket into drum corps and by the end of my first year on cymbals I was amazed with what could be done with a pair of plates. After 4 seasons on cymbals and three corps later, marching with the Cadets under the legendary Tom Hannum, all I can say, is long live cymbal lines!

I probably would have been another varsity baseball player or chess club captain, but instead of those great extra-curricular activities, I entered into the crazy world of drum corps! (wait a minute, should I be happy about this??? Just kidding!)

Here is a wonderful video of some modern day cymbal magic.

love cymbal lines! Colts, Madison, and of course Spirit (just to name a few) (no disrespect to any other corps not mentioned). I wish more corps would bring them back.

Don't forget about the CROSSMEN cymbal line. BONES is one of the Div 1 corps that still marches cymbals. If I remember correctly Madison and Spirit no longer have cymbal lines.

BackBeat

Yeah Brandon marched in SCVC...but not on the instrument you think!!!

I know there was a contra player that decided to audition for plates this year..

i agree with you there...but for me if a drumline doesn't have a decent bassline i never seem to like the line really...

but i think basslines need more hype.

:worthy: agreed

B)

SCV always puts out a smoking bass, tenor, and cymbal line though :wub::worthy::worthy: