Santa Clara Vanguard

SCV had always been one of my favorite corps. I was just wondering if there is a story behind the Vanguard yell. The first year I remember hearing it live was 99. I remember during finals week the excitement from the crowd, and that moment will always be one of my favorites.

Listening to cds, and watching the videos, and having been to shows live, I don't remember hearing it before this time. Was 99 the first year it was done? I also don't remember hearing a yell in the 2000 production. So can anyone tell me what the first year it was used, and what years it has been done since?

Also the Vyper, where the 5 cymbals spin in a circle, arms outstretched, while the 2nd and 4th jump up-what years has this been used? I am wondering if during rehearsals(or even during shows), has anyone ever gotten injured? This move looks so dangerous, but what a cool effect.

Speaking of the Cymbal line, I loved their cymbals on the rubber bands, like their use of flags on rubber bands in 02. Those are some really cool ideas. I didn't even notice the Cymbals during finals week, it wasn't until the ESPN show that I saw those, and thought it was such a cool effect. I think SCV brings some of the most original and fun ideas to drum corps, and can't wait to see what they bring this summer.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was definitely in 89 right before the first big hit

SCV has been doing cymbal visuals for many years. thruout the 80's and possibly as far back as 78 or 79 if my memory is correct.

i don't know about SCV, but the RCC cymbal line does this move as a sort of tribute to them and a friend of mine on the line got his nose shattered by a plate while rehearsing it.

(this is why the question of..."how many sets are we taking?" should always be asked if there is confusion. :lol: )

Edited by sopemloud

I may very well be wrong, but I thought it first occured in '94. It was actually started by some guys of the Blue Knights. Read GM Kuzma's "On the Field from Denver, Colorado....The Blue Knights!" There's a section in the book talking about it. Regardless if I'm right or wrong, you should still read the book if you haven't.

The rubber band straps goes back to 87 during "Dance of the Tumblers". It's caught on video if you are watching for it. I miss the full battery trip step, that was always hot. They've always had the bad### high mark time in the bassline (one of the few that looked really masterful doing so).

They've always had the bad### high mark time in the bassline (one of the few that looked really masterful doing so).

you're right about that...i love watching it. And most people complain saying that they can't do it on a bass drum, but how come SCVs bassline totally puts that complaint down the drain....