Santa Clara Vanguard

i think the yell has been in every show since at least 89. if not every, almost every. there was one in the 2000 show, but it was very quick and kind of covered. it was at the beginning after that loud, hectic part of the first impact. then theres a bass run as it goes into the main part of the movement. its in that little bass run gap...if that makes sense.

the yell was an unofficial thing until i believe 02. fans would just kind of find a place to put it, and yell there. over the years this caught on more and more, until the design staff started engineering it in.

as for the viper, i dont know when it started, but i know its been in every show as of late. at least since 2000, probably earlier.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it goes back to a show back in 1976 in Hershey, PA. There was a brief 3 or 4 second silence in their show where they performed silent drill. It was at this time that a group of members from Pride of Cincinatti began the traditional "Vanguard" yell. It caught on as the season progressed as a joke, but this grew into a popular yell that is incorporated into Vanguard's shows even up to now.

I'm pretty sure the V stands for VICTORY, as it was added by the cymbal line on finals night as Santa Clara captured their first DCI World Championship.

Thanx for some of the info. Also wondering, what years have they spelled out the letters SCV on the field? I seem to think they did either 92 or 93, I am thinking it was the Fiddler show which would have been 92, and I seem to think they spelled it out sometime in the early 00's?

And one last question(for now) when they performed their 04 show Scheherazade, in the ending, a girl goes into the tunnel..Is that the same girl that comes out the other end? If so, that is one of the quickest changes I have ever seen.

Thanx for some of the info. Also wondering, what years have they spelled out the letters SCV on the field? I seem to think they did either 92 or 93, I am thinking it was the Fiddler show which would have been 92, and I seem to think they spelled it out sometime in the early 00's?

And one last question(for now) when they performed their 04 show Scheherazade, in the ending, a girl goes into the tunnel..Is that the same girl that comes out the other end? If so, that is one of the quickest changes I have ever seen.

Same guard girl.....and you never saw the 85 and 86 shows? How about the entire HORN LINE changing pants in a shorter tunnel??

Find a video....it's amazing (85 is the better version, imho)

I have the 85 DVD with the whole hornline changing pants in the tunnel, and that was awesome. But 04 was even more impressive, with the total different look coming out. I wasn't sure if it was the same girl, or just 2 girls that looked similar. So I am guessing her outfit was held on with velcro so she was just able to rip it off in the tunnel?

I have the 85 DVD with the whole hornline changing pants in the tunnel, and that was awesome. But 04 was even more impressive, with the total different look coming out. I wasn't sure if it was the same girl, or just 2 girls that looked similar. So I am guessing her outfit was held on with velcro so she was just able to rip it off in the tunnel?

It is the same girl. She had a tear away uniform over the one underneath. She had some help from girls already in the tunnel when she entered. Quick change yes, and just that, no magic.

It is the same girl. She had a tear away uniform over the one underneath. She had some help from girls already in the tunnel when she entered.

oh.....for a wardrobe malfunction....

goin' to hell for that one!!

Just finished watching '71 World Open and paid special attention to SCVs Cymbal line. They were tight, motivated and totally integrated into the drum book. They performed artistic moves, which added to their visual performance "back in the day", could cost you tenths off your score if not performed well. I would say that the SCV Cymbal line "excellence" started way back when and was most certainly encouraged by our great drumline instructor, Fred Sanford.