How many "OLD SCHOOLERS" have kids marching ?

Yes, my 3 sons have marched the last 5 years with BD C.

Hey, Trish? How come your sig line doesn't say Renegades?

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, since my daughter won't be marching for quite a while, how many of you "Old Schoolers" had kids march drum corps in the past 28 years.

If you had a child in the mid to late 80's B) they should have aged out or are about to age out.

What stories do you have to tell ?

Two kids both Crossmen.

We had a few father/son participants in the Madison Alumni corps last year. Obviously, that means they were both alumni of the Madison Scouts. That was really cool to see out there, and had to be a really unique and special opportunity for them.

I recall seeing one father & son who would bump knuckles as they walked past each other when setting sets up. Very cool!

My oldest son wanted to march a few years ago when he lived in CA, he was in middle school then and he wanted to join SCV Cadets but his grades were down and decided not to. He moved to WI and I thought he'd join Blue Stars but he opted not to. He's 18 and working and not playing his horn anymore. I am so sad but yet respectful of his decision. My youngest is 9 in NY and he started playing the drums. When he gets into his teens I hope he tries it (corps) but I am sure his mom won't let him.

I marched between 78 and 88 with the Blue Knights (MN), Rivermen, and Sky Ryders. My daughter was one of the three 14 year olds marching with the Blue Stars last year, and will be returning once again this year (with the other two now 15 year olds - they are still the youngest kids in the corps).

My son (one of the 15 year olds mentioned above) is a third-generation drum corps kid. He marched Revolution in 2005, and Blue Stars 2006-present. His maternal Grandfather marched in the Grand Street Boys back in the 1930's and his fraternal Grandfather marched in the Sunrisers in the late 60's, and was the founder and Executive Director of the L.I. Kingsmen from 1964-1980. Both my folks have traveled with corps (i.e., LIK, Avant Garde, 27th, Cadets, and Blue Stars) non-stop since 1963. My brother marched LIK 1964-1977, I marched LIK 1965-1980, my wife marched LIK 1972-1980, and my sister was in LIK 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th Lancers 1983-1986.

LOLOLOL......an interesting topic.

I am 2nd generation drum corps. My father marched in the 30's into the early '40's. I saw my first show in 1949 at Muicipal Stadium in Philly......Nationals.

In 1962 both my father and I joined Archie and I had the pleasure of playing with, teaching and majoring with him until he passed on.....

Ah, Jimbo, I didn't know that you were 2nd generation drum corps! As you may know, I am too. Dad and Mom were 13 yrs old when they met in a Hoboken drum corps; he was drum sergeant and she was drum major. Of course, after the war, he marched snare in both Hawthorne Caballeros and, then, NY Skyliners! He then went on to teach many corps including the highly talented St. Joseph's Cadets, Newark NJ. (also the Greenville TN Presidents, Hoboken's Our Lady of Grace Lancers, and maybe 10 or 12 others corps.) Then of course he became a respected drum judge. One of his greatest thrills was to be inducted (in 1999?) into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame. I am so grateful to Mickey P. and all the HOF folks for honoring him. He passed away less than a year later, a happy man who always loved drum and bugle corps!

Jim

My son (one of the 15 year olds mentioned above) is a third-generation drum corps kid. He marched Revolution in 2005, and Blue Stars 2006-present. His maternal Grandfather marched in the Grand Street Boys back in the 1930's and his fraternal Grandfather marched in the Sunrisers in the late 60's, and was the founder and Executive Director of the L.I. Kingsmen from 1964-1980. Both my folks have traveled with corps (i.e., LIK, Avant Garde, 27th, Cadets, and Blue Stars) non-stop since 1963. My brother marched LIK 1964-1977, I marched LIK 1965-1980, my wife marched LIK 1972-1980, and my sister was in LIK 1977-1980, Avant Garde 1982, and 27th Lancers 1983-1986.

Dave,

I've had the privilege of knowing your dad for over 30 years. He is truly a class act! I first met him the early 70s when I was teaching the Townsmen percussion in the Garden State Circuit.

Jim

ps My dad also marched in the Grand Street Boys.