Loudest corps each year?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to say who was THE loudest, as there have been several over the years. Here's a few that come to mind for me :

'95 Madison

'86 Blue Devils

'75 Madison

2003 Phantom

'75 Muchachoes

'87 SCV

'80 Spirit

'76 Bridgemen

'05 Crossmen

'93 Cadets

But in my opinion, out of the 10 loudest brass lines ever, the majority of the loudest ever on my list would be found in the DCA circuit. Corps like the '03-04 Renegades, and the Skyliners Corps in the 70's for instance, provided more loudness hands down over many on this DCI list of mine above.

Edited by X DM

Not once. I have, however, been to drum corps shows. Each time, there were corps who played very well in tune but not very loud, and corps that played extremely loud but not as in tune. I greatly preferred the latter, which is why, in my opinion, I prefer volume to intonation. If for some reason I am not entitled to this opinion, please tell me. As of now, I think I am.

Um...are you aware that playing in tune automatically makes you louder without having to try as hard?

And you know, know and in your face can be great, I love Madison 95 etc. etc. but what really gives me chills is listening to something like the Cavies 02 ballad and hearing them land on a perfectly in-tune and balanced backfield chord and then hearing that resonate throughout the stadium...

If you want loud you can always crank up your stereo system....that doesn't take talent.

I really love listening to Phantom Regiment 03. It isn't the greatest playing ever, but it's loud and awesome.

BUT

I love the sound of the Cavaliers hornline. Count me in as one who prefers intonation over volume. When someone has both, then WOW. :doh:

I really love listening to Phantom Regiment 03. It isn't the greatest playing ever, but it's loud and awesome.

BUT

I love the sound of the Cavaliers hornline. Count me in as one who prefers intonation over volume. When someone has both, then WOW. :doh:

Oh god, yes. PR 03 is fun to listen to but there's a couple of those loud moments where some indiscretionary 3rd or lower 2nd part sticks out of the ensemble and I just want to cover my ears! :sshh:

Um...are you aware that playing in tune automatically makes you louder without having to try as hard?

And you know, know and in your face can be great, I love Madison 95 etc. etc. but what really gives me chills is listening to something like the Cavies 02 ballad and hearing them land on a perfectly in-tune and balanced backfield chord and then hearing that resonate throughout the stadium...

If you want loud you can always crank up your stereo system....that doesn't take talent.

The thread question however wasn't about tone, nor talent, nor stereo systems. It was about loudness. And since it's a matter of choice, people are free to sacrifice tone quality as a preference when they want to have their face peeled off with live volume. But you are also entitled to get your chills on loudness on a ballad too. Just so long as you are not telling people who want their drum corps ( or other genres ) played by performers who know how make your hair stand up and your face peeled off with sheer ballsy, adadulterated, non apologetic, tone quality be ######, kick ### VOLUME..... and over anything else. Some people like Enya. Some like Metallica. Some neither. But when it comes to volume, it's all a matter of choice. If it wasn't, even that stereo system of yours would be set at one level at the factory.

Edited by X DM

Hornline warmups are boring in general

Not if you're BD :P