Loudest corps each year?

The thread question however wasn't about tone, nor talent, nor stereo systems. It was about loudness. And since it's a matter of choice, people are free to sacrifice tone quality as a preference when they want to have their face peeled off with live volume. But you are also entitled to get your chills on loudness on a ballad too. Just so long as you are not telling people who want their drum corps ( or other genres ) played by performers who know how make your hair stand up and your face peeled off with sheer ballsy, adadulterated, non aploogetic, tone quality be ######, kick ### VOLUME..... and over anything else. Some people like Enya. Some like Metallica. It's all a matter of choice.

It's a matter of physics. Out of tune can be loud, but it will never be as loud as in tune can be.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, still boring. Seriously, what does anyone see in hornlines playing warmups and chord sequences? What disturbs me more is that people skip CORPS SHOWS to watch BD's hornline warm up or something. I guess that's just me.

Simple: Some people enjoy watching BD play chord progressions/space music more than they enjoy some corps' shows.

Simple: Some people enjoy watching BD play chord progressions/space music more than they enjoy some corps' shows.

Exactly. Not sure why people are " disturbed " because some people might rather listen to BD play chords, then listen to a Corps show that for them might be just chords too. I have no problem when people tell me that they really like a show that for me might have been a yawner. But then some of these same people want to tell me why I shouldn't like a show that was so good that it gave me goose bumps. The Crossmen in' 05 gave me goose bumps. I loved the show. The juges didn't score them high. They failed to make the Finals. They are entitled to their opinion. But I loved the show more than half the finalists. I could care less what other people or the judges thought of the '05 Crossmen. I don't pay money to find out what an anonymous judge I 'll never see at the show thinks. I go to be entertained,and then usually leave before the scores are announced.... why ? 1) to beat the traffic and 2) I frankly don't need to know what the judges think, because I don't care what they think. ( and it works rather well. They don't care what I think either )

Edited by X DM

agreed....along with SCV 2004, Cadets 05-06, and I would say Phantom if their low brass didnt honk away....but BD hornline warm ups equals bad a@#

The 1995 Madison Scouts had one of the loudest hornlines I've ever heard.

I saw them (and definitely heard them!) from field level, 50-yard line, at NJ's Giants Stadium that year...... during the power push in Malaga, I swear they left a negative flash-print of me on the stadium wall. :P

Fran

It's a matter of physics. Out of tune can be loud, but it will never be as loud as in tune can be.

If this is true, then the loudest brass lines I 've heard would have had to have been in tune. My thought was that the loudest were not neccessasrily the most in tune. It seemed many were overblowing and clearly were sacrificing some pitch and tone quality for volume. ( but to my delight however ). But I won't quibble on the matter.

I'm sure you're saying this in relation to that loudest hornline would be louder if they are in tune. However, why is the arguably most in-tune hornline, The Cavaliers, also arguably the softest? Yes, I know we've answered technically this question in regards to describing the brass staff approach. I'm just saying that the sheer volume output has a much larger effect on the physics than how in-tune it is. That's why SOME people argue that they prefer volume over tuning, is my guess. To them the drop in quality of volume is much more noticeable than a drop in how well the corps plays in-tune.

Also, doesn't it seem boring to always be inside the box and not take any risk? I love reaching for quality, but how many professional players do you think got there with out taking risks in their own playing? That's why you practice. If you limit yourself to only what you can play with fantastic quality, how are you going to grow as a player?

I think the approach The Cavaliers take with their brass is great and it works perfectly for them. I just look for that little bit of extra "expressiveness". That's just me and I know there is no right or wrong and that there are a lot of people on either side of the fence.

...However, why is the arguably most in-tune hornline, The Cavaliers, also arguably the softest?...

Because they don't play loud dynamics.

Going off of what others are saying about physics: if the Cavaliers played at FF, their FF would be louder than Phantom Regiment's FF (assuming that the Cavaliers are playing in tune moreso than Phantom Regiment). Or at least, it would sound much better because it is in tune.

That's what I am gathering from this interesting conversation. :)

Nope, still boring. Seriously, what does anyone see in hornlines playing warmups and chord sequences? What disturbs me more is that people skip CORPS SHOWS to watch BD's hornline warm up or something. I guess that's just me.

aside from brian's answer, its also usually a lot more convenient after shows, if we're talking about it from the perspective of other members. get changed, get some food.....you can either walk to the stadium and check out shows, or stay in the parking lot, see and talk to friends, and watch some hornlines in their warmup arcs. you can see what each corps ideally goes for as far as sound goes, and eventually compare their technique in the lot to their technique displayed on the finals recording.