Loudest corps each year?

QUOTE(Triple Forte @ Apr 8 2007, 02:06 PM)

Ok......please share what 'you' feel I missed ???

It's not that The Cavaliers are chasing perfection, and then once that is attained they add in musicality. It's that if in a spot where adding would affect the technical aspect, the notes' attack, sustain, and release are given priority over that extra F. This is what I've been told from members and staff, time and time again.

Also, why was my signature included in your quote? Was it a mistake? Because I would like to think you wouldn't include my signature on purpose, since it has no bearing on anything being discussed here.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that The Cavaliers are chasing perfection, and then once that is attained they add in musicality. It's that if in a spot where adding would affect the technical aspect, the notes' attack, sustain, and release are given priority over that extra F.

The whole perfection thing is really just semantics . . . music can't ever be perfect, so why try to achieve perfection, or something, right? Whoah, that's deep. And pretty flawed, from a logical standpoint.

Basically, The Cavaliers brass staff gives priority to quality, ensemble clarity, balance, individual and ensemble listening awareness, etc, over things like volume. It's not that they feel music shouldn't be expressive (that's ludiocrous), it's just that they stress fundamentals before they stress "expression", per se.

The general idea is to build a foundation for creating sounds in an ensemble and then to pursue music and expression based on that foundation. They feel that pushing for too much of the musical aspects we generally associate with being "expressive" (like volume, for instance) prematurely , can lead to uncharacteristic sounds and ensemble issues because the members of the hornline don't yet have the fundamental foundation.

Why this adversity to incorrect sounds and ensemble problems (like stick-outs)? Because, by definition, these are unmusical problems! Problems like this do nothing but distract from the music. This leads the staff to take what can be considered a slightly different route to music-making.

Or something. Sorry for being so verbose.

That, at the least, has been my understanding.

Whether it's right or wrong is beside the point. It's what they like, it works for them, they've had success with it, and everyone's different. Woo-hoo. Happy Easter.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

The whole perfection thing is really just semantics . . . music can't ever be perfect, so why try to achieve perfection, or something, right? Whoah, that's deep. And pretty flawed, from a logical standpoint.

Basically, The Cavaliers brass staff gives priority to quality, ensemble clarity, balance, individual and ensemble listening awareness, etc, over things like volume. It's not that they feel music shouldn't be expressive (that's ludiocrous), it's just that they stress fundamentals before they stress "expression", per se.

The general idea is to build a foundation for creating sounds in an ensemble and then to pursue music and expression based on that foundation. They feel that pushing for too much of the musical aspects we generally associate with being "expressive" (like volume, for instance) prematurely , can lead to uncharacteristic sounds and ensemble issues because the members of the hornline don't yet have the fundamental foundation.

Why this adversity to incorrect sounds and ensemble problems (like stick-outs)? Because, by definition, these are unmusical problems! Problems like this do nothing but distract from the music. This leads the staff to take what can be considered a slightly different route to music-making.

Or something. Sorry for being so verbose.

That, at the least, has been my understanding.

Whether it's right or wrong is beside the point. It's what they like, it works for them, they've had success with it, and everyone's different. Woo-hoo. Happy Easter.

Well said.

Oh, and I think being able to attain wall-of-sound, balls loud volume is much more important than being in tune.

Hrothgar, I have a question for you, do you or have you ever played a brass instrument?

Okay,

when Einstein said Cavaliers 2002, it was so obvious that he was making a sarcastic comment that I have no choice but to think substantially less of the opinions and reasoning skills of the people who felt the urgent need to correct him.

Despite that,

I don't know what the loudest moment I've ever heard was. Live, I don't really know, because I've only been to one drum corps show as a spectator.

However, I would say that The Cavaliers shout section at the end of the third movement in 2003 is easily one of the loudest moments I've ever heard (not to mention best blended, matched, colorful, etc).

End of Phantom 96, also pretty wicked loud.

Phantom 03 is obviously loud but the intonation problems render it ineffective to me.

I imagine Cadets were pretty loud in 05.

The big hit in Star 93- also loud.

This is why Jake's the man.

I feel that Carolina Crown has had 'really powerful' hornlines the last couple of seasons. I have plans to go see their hornline warmup in Allentown PA....have to see where that power comes from.

Don't expect a concert.

OK, well it's exactly how I feel. Being in tune is important, yes, but in my opinion, I feel that it is much more important for a drum and bugle corps to be able to produce a huge, loud, full sound, regardless of intonation, than to simply be in tune. Maybe you feel differently, I don't know.

Why does everyone seem to think the two are mutually exclusive?

Lacking the ability to create a resonant (resonance- it is a more mature concept than loud), characteristic, beautiful sound is offensive.

Lacking the ability to play as an ensemble is offensive.

Hrothgar, I have a question for you, do you or have you ever played a brass instrument?

Not once. I have, however, been to drum corps shows. Each time, there were corps who played very well in tune but not very loud, and corps that played extremely loud but not as in tune. I greatly preferred the latter, which is why, in my opinion, I prefer volume to intonation. If for some reason I am not entitled to this opinion, please tell me. As of now, I think I am.

Well, Crown was definitely the loudest corps this season, which everyone seems to be agreeing upon (first hit :doh::doh::doh: ). And they played in tune. I just wish I got to see them live...

I feel that Carolina Crown has had 'really powerful' hornlines the last couple of seasons. I have plans to go see their hornline warmup in Allentown PA.

get ready for some lip slurs. (good lip slurs, mind you, but the two-note lip slur gets pretty boring after 3 series.)