Mistakes that weren't mistakes

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it in the sopranos?

A "ruff" is a percussion term. I've heard the drum judge tape from Finals (have it in fact). Some of the attacks in the snares during the closer are a crushed pulse rather than a single clean note. It's written that way ... I think that's what the original poster was referring to.

Just an overall comment about the topic: If everyone thinks that there was a mistake, yet it was intentional, it's a MISTAKE. It's called poor writing or undereducated listeners. The gong in BD 90 = Mistake .. the first attack in PR 88 = Mistake. On the other hand, I hear alot of dirt on recordings that weren't there on Finals night. Like in my prior post, I blame this on poor mic placement and selecting the wrong equipment to use. Most of the recordings that are bad is because the cross field mic is picking up stuff it shouldn't. Example: Sop feature on the 30 side one ... yet you can hear it through both speakers. Shouldn't happen that way .... omnidirectional mics stink in drumcorps.

1990 Cadets sopranos in the closer. They're overblowing their brains out as an intended effect....I remember the first time they did it. Some judge nailed them on a tape for poor musicianship!

Well seeing as there's an blatant cracked note on the finals recording, clear as a bell, I can see why. One of my favorite shows, though.

Edited by Hrothgar15

1990 Cadets sopranos in the closer. They're overblowing their brains out as an intended effect....I remember the first time they did it. Some judge nailed them on a tape for poor musicianship!

I LOVED THAT PART!!!!!!!!! B) Nothing like dissing the soloist from the Boston Philharmonic on a drumcorps field!! We needed wider vibrato .. but it still was effective ... then SLAM.... double tonguing passage. How could anyone ever miss that that was an effect????? :worthy:

Edited by supersop

A "ruff" is a percussion term. I've heard the drum judge tape from Finals (have it in fact). Some of the attacks in the snares during the closer are a crushed pulse rather than a single clean note. It's written that way ... I think that's what the original poster was referring to.

Just an overall comment about the topic: If everyone thinks that there was a mistake, yet it was intentional, it's a MISTAKE. It's called poor writing or undereducated listeners. The gong in BD 90 = Mistake .. the first attack in PR 88 = Mistake. On the other hand, I hear alot of dirt on recordings that weren't there on Finals night. Like in my prior post, I blame this on poor mic placement and selecting the wrong equipment to use. Most of the recordings that are bad is because the cross field mic is picking up stuff it shouldn't. Example: Sop feature on the 30 side one ... yet you can hear it through both speakers. Shouldn't happen that way .... omnidirectional mics stink in drumcorps.

DCI judges are undereducated listeners? Thom Hannum is a poor writer? I think not!

Star '92...Mellophone pickup note before the final hold. I've heard many on here say it was an early baritone entrance.

Nope...the gong note was just a bonehead attack. A buddy of mine in the drumline told me they were HACKED OFF that night for that mistake.

heh, i guess whoever it was a year or so ago that posted on dcp and said he marched that show and that it was intentional was just trying to cover up for someones mistake, haha. funny to learn the truth afterwards. :)