Phantom 2006 music

I preferred 2006 over 2005 but what really impressed me was how different the 2 shows were in mood and tone yet both were still very Regiment. Its cool that one corps can give you such range within their identity

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom in 2005 was very entertaining ... The most entertaining (IMO) in a while.

I don't think the music of Gershwin is bad. I like the music of Gershwin. However, I think it is better when performed by piano and orchestra. I don't think his music translates very well to the field, with maybe the exception being music from Porgy and Bess.

The biggest problem I had with Phantom's version, was the chopped up, forced runs throughout the show. I know they were trying to add difficulty to very simple pieces, but one of the things that is great about Gershwin, is it is simple music. And where sometimes a corps can get away with a few extra runs for difficulty, the ones in the 05 production just didn't fit the music.

Obviously, my opinion differed quite a bit from the judges, and from tons of fans.

That is the reason I loved the 06 production. The arrangements really fit the context of the music. It just doesn't seem like the same person would have arranged both years.

You also have to keep in mind that much of the 2006 show was a compilation of Regiment tunes from the past. J.D. put a few twists and turns in there to make it his own, but the majority of the music already had a hallmark PR framework to begin with. You can reference parts of their show by listening to PR 1984 Scythian Suite, and 1986 Resurrection Symphony. I, like you, haven't agreed with some of J.D. arrangements. I even have problems with some of the things he did in 06. He has his own tastes as to what a low brass sound should be, which is somewhat different in arranging style compared to PR of the past. I give him props, he has the job and he's making the most of it. You don't become a DCI HoF'er over night. Keep at it J.D., you make my generation proud ... best of luck going forward.

Edited by supersop

You think the music from 2005 was BAD?

I guess I'm alone in this, but I really didn't like Phantom in 06 at all, I much preferred 03-05, sorry if that bursts anyone's bubble.

Agreed