'tis the question..

Is there such thing as a silent pump air mattress? to not disturb the others?

Absolutely. It's called a sleeping bag :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched juniors in the late 70s, I had an aluminum campcot over which I put a sleeping mattress (was only about 4 inches tall) and then my sleeping bag. It was heaven. I was one of only about 3 guys in the whole corps that had this, and was always getting the fish eye from those who though it was more manly to sleep directly on the hard floor. Some guys had actual army cots, problem with those is that you have to assemble them and they rely on pressure to keep them together. Ocassionally in the middle of the night the sleeper would shift and the whole thing would fall apart.

I use an air mattress now although I learned lat year that if you dont bring your blanket or sleeping bag you will freeze particularly if the air mattress is in a cool room on a cool floor. Its like sleeping on a bed of frozen air. Not fun.

In the old "if I had it to do over" file..........

I would have used something else. A foam pad, an air mattress, something.

I had bony hip bones then that grinded into those hard gym floors for five summers and I still have bony hip bones now and I'm a side sleeper.

Only now I have a bad case of sciatica. Very painful, I can assure you. Even with a Heavenly bed.

In my case, given the old "if I had it to do over again".........some kind of padding.

Edited by Lucy65

The corps I march in doesn't allow air matresses during tour, only spring training. Plus, during tour, you're not going to want to have to inflate the thing, at least for me, all I ever wanted to do once i got off the bus was throw my stuff down and lay flat out on top of my sleeping bag. By mid tour, you'll be happy just to lay down, trust me.

The AeroBed single is incredible! It's small...it pumps up quickly and it's great!

That's my vote.

I roughed it out with my sleeping bag the six years I toured. Plus, I didn't want to hassle with the inflating and packing an AeroBed. But that was just me. :)