I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

Hey...before you waste all that time and energy putting keyboards and electronics and circus animals and whatever else into the activity, why don't you come up with something that is actually useful.....................like octave keys on sopranos (trumpets) so I can stop seeing those little dots, getting headaches and passing out at the end of solos.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey...before you waste all that time and energy putting keyboards and electronics and circus animals and whatever else into the activity, why don't you come up with something that is actually useful.....................like octave keys on sopranos (trumpets) so I can stop seeing those little dots, getting headaches and passing out at the end of solos.

I already have an octave key for my horn, it's called practicing

Man, I'm jerk

no, it's making it different. woodwinds wouldn't make it any better...synth's wouldn't make it any better...they would just make it different.

That was one of the big points of my original post. I'd like to see change and variation in DCI. I mean really, someone at some point did have to say, "Hey what would happen if I spliced these two sounds into a computer and did this and this and sang this. Woah hey, we've got something new here". Some corps are doing a pretty #### good job with the limitations they have, but so much more could be possible. Think of what the Rite of Spring would have been if Stravinsky was limited in what he wrote....

I already have an octave key for my horn, it's called practicing

Man, I'm jerk

Well...if you know that you are...then you can't be a lead sop.

That was one of the big points of my original post. I'd like to see change and variation in DCI. I mean really, someone at some point did have to say, "Hey what would happen if I spliced these two sounds into a computer and did this and this and sang this. Woah hey, we've got something new here". Some corps are doing a pretty #### good job with the limitations they have, but so much more could be possible. Think of what the Rite of Spring would have been if Stravinsky was limited in what he wrote....

Actually, Stravinsky was limited. Your statement fits this thread perfectly. There were a whole bunch of musical instruments that existed when he wrote Rite of Spring, but because he wrote for orchestra, he wrote for orchestral instruments. He did not achieve a new level of artistic by throwing in a bunch of new instruments. He achieved a new level of artistic by using the available instruments in new and more creative ways.

That is exactly what I want to see the activity do. Take what they have, percussion and brass, and use them more creatively. Not throw in everything else and the kitchen sink because some people need more toys to pretend they are creative.

Edited by higherlouderfaster

MikeD

My own preference, stated (waaay too many times) before is for a new division within DCI for any instrumentation, any size.

I have absolutely no problem with this, but what would be wrong with DCI forming an entirely new circuit? I imagine that if a division were started and DCI kept it for a couple of years, it would surpass drum corps in popularity and could stand on it's own.

BTW, Einstein, I like the new sig line and notice that the phrase with the word "quaint" is no longer there. People only visit quaint places. Once they live there it's no longer quaint; they call it home. Glad you finally decided to move in! :P

Edited by ravedodger

Wouldn't expect you to understand, but what would happen isn't anything new. It's not. It's marching band. That isn't new. It's old. It is being done right now. It's a known quantity.

The reason that corps are doing a good job with their limitations is because they have limitations. If you have all these other options, they don't have to work in and around limitations. If you think that corps have run out of ideas, your thinking is lazy. If corps staff think that adding flutes and pre-recorded effects will help them, they are being lazy. Drum corps is drum corps because of its rules.

Think of how much more entertaining basketball would be if they could play it on trampolines... it would be so much better - more dunking, more scoring, and faster games. Where is slamball these days?