I want a clear, honest, and well thought answer to this

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of some shows without narration that I don't like.... :huh:

You missed the point. The point is that everyone likes unnarrated drum corps, although you may not like certain shows. However, not everyone likes narrated shows. Why would DCI restrict their shows to a smaller niche by allowing narration of which only a few appreciate in drum corps, when you can ensure shows have a much better chance of being appreciated by leaving the narration out? :huh::laugh::huh::worthy:

No, a new division does not remove one single corps from DCI.

No, but it fragments the already existing divisions, which are already fairly small, with not much sign of significant growth any time soon. In fact, indications are the it will get smaller.

You missed the point. The point is that everyone likes unnarrated drum corps, although you may not like certain shows. However, not everyone likes narrated shows. Why would DCI restrict their shows to a smaller niche by allowing narration of which only a few appreciate in drum corps, when you can ensure shows have a much better chance of being appreciated by leaving the narration out? :huh::huh::laugh::worthy:

I'm not a fan of narration, particularly amp'd singing, however I don't think that means DCI should be going after the lowest common denominator either (shows that appeal to everyone), nor do I agree that drum corps fans are as single-minded as you suggest (my way is the only way, no narration in ANY show or I lose interest). I believe that most of us have the ability to enjoy a much greater variety of performances than you suggest. As is usually the case those who are strongly against an action tend to be the most vocal creating a perception that their size is greater than reality.

Edited by jwscv87

I'm not. What possible relevance does that have to the 60's and 70's when first BAC attempted to use them and then they were later admitted back to drum corps?

And the Sunrisers on the DCA side, also in 1969.

Both BAC and Sun that year had the same drum guy.... Gerry Shellmar.

Fran

Fran

Right...he was a great drum guy. Along with George Tuthill those two did a lot of VERY modern percussion writing for the era.

Your question - "maybe DCI/BOA/WGI could usher in a new artistic movement?" Personally, I don't like all this artistic stuff. Give me LOUDER, FASTER, HIGHER any day of the week in regards to Drum Corps. Some BOA guys put 300 winds on a field and drum corps puts 70 winds and drum corps blows them away!

I want to be entertained, I don't want to have PhD in music just to understand what the corps is doing. It's kinda like U2 and the Boston Pops. Both have their place and two groups of loyal following fans - for me I just rather have straight ahead rock with some cool stuff thrown in to keep me interested.

Fran

And Boys of 76 Sr corps (Racine, WI) a year later.

Now THERE'S a piece of trivia for ya.... (And I got the recording)

Far as mallet instruments being "foreign" to corps I was told by a drum instructor "If it can be hit with a stick it is a percussion instrument. That includes snares, bass, tymps (when did they start being used in corps) and bells".

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'm not. What possible relevance does that have to the 60's and 70's when first BAC attempted to use them and then they were later admitted back to drum corps?

Were they ever gone?

At my fingertips right now are some of the 1962 VFW recordings, where at least two of the finalists (Madison Scouts and Racine Scouts) had mallet percussion. That's just the tip of the iceberg - I've heard them used by numerous corps throughout the years prior to 1965, though they were rare among Eastern units.

Evidently, their prohibition by VFW didn't take place until after 1962. Did the Legion ever prohibit them? It appears they were still legal in many contests in 1969, since the Sunrisers, Boston Crusaders and Anaheim Kingsmen were able to use them that year.

You speak of them as if they were an innovation in 1969 - that is not really the case.