Required Components?

Between 5 and 30 members.

I've been in an Open class colorguard for the past 4 years, and the most members we've had in that time was 18. The least was 8. In 2005, Brigadiers had 6 members in IO, I believe. I remember Onyx having fewer than 10 in 2004. I think Interplay (IO) was under 15 that year. Kings HS in SO had 8 that year. Croatan had 6 in 2005 in SO, and 10(ish) in IO in 2006. Signature 2005 was comprised of around 13 members. I could go on for a while.

I definitely think colorguards average 15-20 members. There are certainly quite a few small teams representing the Open and World classes. Top world class teams certainly average in the upper 20s, but the rest of the colorguard population does not.

Brigs in 05 had 8, Croatan had 9 that year... Brigs in 2006 had 14, Taylor HS 2006 (SO) had around 9 i think... Kennesaw Mt 2006 had only 13, they did great in world finals :)

not about quantity, its about quality... :) thats what i have always been told and firmly believe that is a good philosophy... you can have 5 or 6 kids out there moving and spinnign with excellence and do well.... :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would assume from a design standpoint, too many members on the floor would limit movement/drill, etc.

That's the real challenge of world class design, to work in a way to still have movement. The bigger guards must be moving around about 85-95 percent of the show to fit in movement........notice how much full sized world guards move in the drill. It's a lot, and it allows them to utilize movements. A lot of guards have dance features to solve this little problem (notice for instance, how much blessed sac dances at the end of their shows and how much they dance during it)

There are other tangents I could go on about floor design and size of the guard in relation to how much movement, but it's 130am and I still have MORE homework.

i do not think required components would be good either. however, i do feel that many judges do not give enough credit for solid technique.

for example, one guard has an ensemble rifle 7. very few catches are solid and some of the members plie on the catch. another guard has an ensemble rifle 5. all catches are solid and no one plies on the catch. many judges would give the 1st guard a better score because the ATTEMPTED a harder toss as opposed to the 2nd guard who attempted an easier toss and completed it flawlessly.

in no way am i saying ALL judges do this, but it is common enough that many directors in our circuit have brought it up during the season.

No, I'm afraid there are very few guards in any class that are throwing ensemble 7's. Also, I don't think you have a very strong understanding of the class structure or criteria reference system if you think the only difference between Open and World Class is throwing a 7.

i definately understand the differences between the class systems, which is why i said it should be on of the (but not the only) major differences between classes. does it not make sense that if a class guards are excelling at 4's and 5's, and open class guards are excelling at 5's and 6's, that world class guards should be excelling at 6's and 7's? we had a rifle line of 8, a saber line of 8. everyone could toss and nail a 6. we could do it together, most of the time. i just feel as a performer who has gone tthrough a to open, and hope to go world, that my verticle tossing skills get better as i move on.

and believe me. i get SO angry when people only clap when equipment leaves the hand. that does not make it tricky. i was the ONLY one in my section of the stands who rewarded the ridiculously long but perfect flag feature riple (that included no tosees) near the end of their show this winter. for a line to be that spread out but still maintain the exact count difference the entire time> ridiculous! especially in a year with a lot of bad ripples...

again, sorry about going off topic. just wanted to explain myself a bit better.

There are no required components or skills for any class; the wording is all very vague. Simplistically, A Class is about beginning skills, Open Class is about intermediate skills, and World Class is about advanced skills. And there is SO much more that goes into to it than who can throw the highest toss. You can crack sixes all day and still be a solid A Class guard. And you can never do anything more than a quad and be in World Class. You have to take into account the intricacy of the equipment work, the breadth and depth of the written program, the complexity and sophistication of the design, the exploration of the triad, the training level of the kids, the expressive qualities and nuance displayed, etc. Keep in mind, the different skill levels refer not only to the performers, but to the designers as well.

i definately understand the differences between the class systems, which is why i said it should be on of the (but not the only) major differences between classes. does it not make sense that if a class guards are excelling at 4's and 5's, and open class guards are excelling at 5's and 6's, that world class guards should be excelling at 6's and 7's? we had a rifle line of 8, a saber line of 8. everyone could toss and nail a 6. we could do it together, most of the time. i just feel as a performer who has gone tthrough a to open, and hope to go world, that my verticle tossing skills get better as i move on.

and believe me. i get SO angry when people only clap when equipment leaves the hand. that does not make it tricky. i was the ONLY one in my section of the stands who rewarded the ridiculously long but perfect flag feature riple (that included no tosees) near the end of their show this winter. for a line to be that spread out but still maintain the exact count difference the entire time> ridiculous! especially in a year with a lot of bad ripples...

again, sorry about going off topic. just wanted to explain myself a bit better.

I agree -- sometimes I'd clap for rediculously clean or difficult flag phrases and I swear to God I was the only one in the entire arena doing so. BTW, I loved your show again this year :)

I'm SO over people NOT CLAPPING FOR FLAG WORK!! UGH It drives me insane that people only clap for tosses.... yes, it is exciting, but what about the 8 people on flag who just rolled the flag around their neck/shoulders and caught it underneath their leg (or whatever)??? I mean, who in their right mind would not clap for that?!!?? *ok, if it's a mess, I understand not clapping, but if it's done well, then CLAP!! SCREAM DO SOMETHING other than just sitting there!*.

I have had many a fall guard of young girls who spin only flag, and they have been pretty good IMHO, and yet no one in the audience would clap when they released or did that cute little layered section.. no, they would wait and clap for the next guard who came out on rifle for the first time and caught a single. WHAt??? I just don't get it. People have become so desensitized to flag.. I think Fantasia should just do an all flag show next year...

I had a solo in high school on flag......I got applause for that more than once.

And it wasn't really difficult.

AGREED!

in all honesty, i love flag blocks in world class. i wish more world class groups would spend a little more time on flag because of the effect you can get from it. that's just my opinion and i am sure many people don't feel this way.

I'm SO over people NOT CLAPPING FOR FLAG WORK!! UGH It drives me insane that people only clap for tosses.... yes, it is exciting, but what about the 8 people on flag who just rolled the flag around their neck/shoulders and caught it underneath their leg (or whatever)??? I mean, who in their right mind would not clap for that?!!?? *ok, if it's a mess, I understand not clapping, but if it's done well, then CLAP!! SCREAM DO SOMETHING other than just sitting there!*.

I have had many a fall guard of young girls who spin only flag, and they have been pretty good IMHO, and yet no one in the audience would clap when they released or did that cute little layered section.. no, they would wait and clap for the next guard who came out on rifle for the first time and caught a single. WHAt??? I just don't get it. People have become so desensitized to flag.. I think Fantasia should just do an all flag show next year...