Required Components?

Slightly off topic, but who had the best flag line in IW? I nominate Pride, Aimachi, and Phantom Regiment.

I would go with Pride. Over the last 15 years they have had the most consistent flag repertoirs with the difficulty I expect of a World Class unit.

My opinion of flag (and rifle & sabre to some degree) is

"Less dance/running/flipping/rolling across the floor and MORE spinning."

The "exploration of the triad" (puke) focuses more on body movement, and it's often not excellent at that. I love the use of movement and expression by all-star & college dance teams at their nationals.

And it's a shame as "progressive" as this activity is the use of unusual props has fallen by the wayside. My opinion of State Street being overrated at the time is now somewhat tempered by the nastalgia of some of their most creative & unusual props.

I would also love to see a return of real linear drill. Too many units just "start here, run over there & make another block/triangle formation, some people break off, all run around some more, and rejoin the whole as another block/triangle formation."

OK, I'm off my soapbox. That's just some stuff I've been wanting to say out loud for a long time.

Edited by garfield_cadets

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion of flag (and rifle & sabre to some degree) is

"Less dance/running/flipping/rolling across the floor and MORE spinning."

The "exploration of the triad" (puke) focuses more on body movement, and it's often not excellent at that. I love the use of movement and expression by all-star & college dance teams at their nationals.

The focus on the triad has allowed for more difficulty than you could ever get with only one or two of the elements at a time. In addition, removing the body from the equation would sterilize the equipment work by eliminating most expressive qualities.

Hi kiddies!

The thread topic caught my attention so here goes...

I marched indoor guard in the 70's. Early 70's they were still requiring a 'Manual'. That is, the whoe guard stopped the drill, stood in a company front, and did required movements, left shoulder, right shoulder, present arms, pretty much military stuff. The worst was that when I marched sabre, weactually had a dra and return saber command that you had to do w/o looking at the scabbard. The point is, i really enjoy what indoor guard has evolved into. I think it should be up to the individual ensembles to 'wow' the crowd with their own flavor and not start throwing in requirements that could very well break the flow of the show.

Keep progressing! I Love seeing what's being built on the foundations that were laid!

Slightly off topic, but who had the best flag line in IW? I nominate Pride, Aimachi, and Phantom Regiment.

I don't care what anyone says but Paradigms flag book from 2006 was H-A-R-D. They had a little bit of extra pole at the top which opened up a world of new ways to spin a flag. Too bad they had to re-write the entire show early in the season or they would have been phenomenal........

Other than that, Pride 03 had some really cute flag phrases and it was difficult. And the flag soloist at the end of the show was great......

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but there was one IW guard (Interplay, I think) this year that had an amazing flag line. I remember asking my friend rather tongue-in-cheek, "Did they have a weapon line?" It wasn't meant as in insult to the guard but rather a compliment to the flag line. Whoever they were, they were incredibly clean and beautiful. Unfortunately, they didn't make finals and it was hard to keep track of the different guards in prelims. My apologies if I've got the wrong guard.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but there was one IW guard (Interplay, I think) this year that had an amazing flag line. I remember asking my friend rather tongue-in-cheek, "Did they have a weapon line?" It wasn't meant as in insult to the guard but rather a compliment to the flag line. Whoever they were, they were incredibly clean and beautiful. Unfortunately, they didn't make finals and it was hard to keep track of the different guards in prelims. My apologies if I've got the wrong guard.

No, you're right! Interplay had a HOT flag line this year. WOW I couldn't believe it! And the really amazing thing is that it was that clean when they came to the Dayton Regional! WOW YES for consistency(sp?)!!

I don't know. I just thought that looked kind of dumb.

Hence why I said I didn't care what anyone else says :lol:

Edited by Musical_Spinner

I don't care what anyone says but Paradigms flag book from 2006 was H-A-R-D. They had a little bit of extra pole at the top which opened up a world of new ways to spin a flag.
I don't know. I just thought that looked kind of dumb.

Grabbing the top of the pole & spinning ( & other stuff) has been done for years, but they should have utilized the extra length of pole more for it to have been really effective. It's like having straps on rifles & not doing strapwork! :laugh: It was great extra room for mylar streamers. :P (remember THOSE!)

I can't remember who did it now, but someone in the mid 90's had 7' poles & the silk was taped exactly in the middle, allowing for use of both ends of the pole, which was very effective, and something I remember 10+ years later.

Edited by garfield_cadets