For Those Able to Go to the Countdown...

Cessario's a goof.

Yep, I have to agree. A little too theatrical for me. I thought Dennis De Lucia would have done a better job.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the show in Ames, IA.

About 50 people in attendance. No clapping or cheering from the audience. I so wanted to do the Vanguard yell but I didn't want to be "that guy" in the audience.

Cause we all hate "that guy" when we get or CDs after finals.

No problems with the audio or picture here, but you could definitely tell the difference in the quality of recordings.

But the surprise of the night....

...joining us in the theater was the "Voice of DCI", the one and only Mr. Brandt Crocker. :laugh: I was hoping he would get up and announce each show instead of Michael "Chocolate Bath" Cesario.

Good times had by all.

James

p.s. I hope God's voice sounds like Brandt Crocker's when I get to Heaven.

Watching the broadcast at the Ballston Regal Cinema in Arlington Virginia was, to say the least, a disappointing experience. Just after Star came on, the fire alarm sounded and the strobe lights started flashing. They evacuated the thetater, and we all waited outside for the Fire Dept to show up. After about 40 minutes or so of waiting, I finally got my money back and left. It looked like they were finally letting people back in as I was leaving, but by then we would have missed everyone between Star and the last three corps or so. Maybe I would have been less disappointed had I stayed, but there was no way of telling how long the delay would last before the firemen gave the "all clear".

Oh, well... nobody's fault, I guess, but still frustrating. :(

Saw the show in Ames, IA.

About 50 people in attendance. No clapping or cheering from the audience. I so wanted to do the Vanguard yell but I didn't want to be "that guy" in the audience.

There is no official "Vanguard" yell in 1989, and the clips they showed of 87 and 99 were at the wrong place...

So for those who went, would you say this one was a success for DCI or a faillure?

So for those who went, would you say this one was a success for DCI or a faillure?

I think I'm over last night's bandos (thanks for the acknowledgment, Chris).

I think it's a success as long as there are bodies in the seats, even the ###### bandos. :P

I really enjoyed watching all the corps shows, and like I said earlier, I really liked PR and Cavies shows from this past year.

Now I'm ready for Pasadena. The tickets have been sitting on my desk about three months now collecting dust.

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING...
I have to disagree with you.

BOOOOOOOORIIIIIING? I don't think so.

thanks for the list. Glad I didn't go.

I guess it's just me, but I saw SOMETHING in every show showcased that I applauded for. I would kind of clap to myself when I saw something cool or well done because not everyone would clap for something exciting there in the theater...maybe a "smattering" of applause. On the other hand, the Phantom-passionate girl there applauded EVERYTHING... even the stuff I didn't get... for PR's 2006 show.

It wasn't "boring" ... it was drum corps, and some darn good shows as well. I guess that's why they were voted in, huh? They weren't all the shows that I personally would have liked to have seen in there, but I thought they were all worthy "classics."

Certainly one OBVIOUS common thing in every performance shown was the absolute passion and intensity each and every one of the kids performing in those shows demonstrated. When each and every person is so obviously individually performing to the best of their ability, especially for that show (DCI), it's obvious why they are amongst the elite.

I wouldn't say it was a "failure" ... but I think it's worth it for DCI to go back to the conference table and chat about the points raised here in this forum anyway, and the feedback they got from their own website. They should talk a little more about having a waiting period before a peformance can be a "classic" ... although I am aware of the "instant classic" concept that's out there these days. But in the drum corps activity... maybe not so much.

And obviously a little discussion on attracting more people, in that some cities had a noticable lower turnout?

And I think maybe a list of all DCI finals corps shows, which would be HUGE I know, from all years DCI has been in existence to vote from? Not just a selected 30 or so. Or maybe a more "forced" (if you will) selection whereby you must vote for a performance from each decade, not just the last 10 years or so, so there is more diversity of years.