2007 DCI Classic Countdown Review

I saw the show in Ithaca, NY with an alumni/mini-corps buddy. The turn out was small; about 30 with the largest identifiable group being ex-Watkins Glen Squires compatriots of Steve Rondinaro. There was also an Ithaca College group with some Crossmen jackets noted. Though small, it seemed like an appreciative audience.

We had too little volume as well, but after a couple visits to the management by audience members, they finally got it right. I had a good time, but have a problem with the format for selecting the corps which resulted in too many repeats from the previous two years' shows which I already have on DVD. I think part of the rules should have been top eight, but prior DCI Cinema selectees excluded. For example, although I agree that 1980 Bridgemen's show is an all-time great, I had just watched it on my DVD of the 2006 show that very day! I much rather would have liked to have seen 1978 Bridgemen (which I voted for excluding all the former years' Cinema corps in my choices).

I hope they change the selection criteria next year to avoid repeats.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you. I would have loved to see Bridgeman 78!

I went to the Countdown in Patchogue, NY.

Small tournout, but I saw old friends I hadn't seen in over 10 years and another friend in over 20 years.

The audio volume was terrible. Several people went to the management. They tried turning up the volume but apparantly were having technical difficulties. Finally during the 3rd corps (Star) the manager came in and said if we agreed, they would stop the show, reset and hopefully increase the volume. All agreed and after a short break, we saw the whole show at a better volume. Still could have been louder in my opinion.

All in all, I enjoyed the show.

My opinion and mine only, why Star 93??? I obviously can't deny they were good but just don't care for that show - didn't back then either. Not sure how they made it to the countdown by popular vote.

I almost forgot, we all got free passes for another movie because of the audio problems.

I don't do many reviews (partly because I suck at doing them!!!), but what the heck.....I'll add my two cents (or less) about this year's Countdown, not necessarily in order of the corps' performances:

A number of these shows brought back some cool memories, so I guess from that aspect, the Countdown was "mission accomplished" as far as I'm concerned.

Cadets '87...... hadn't seen that show in a long, long time.... and I'm glad it made the Countdown this year. Great performance.... classic Cadets....lots of energy and with that "killer instinct" the corps has when it's at the top of its game!

1980 Bridgemen..... great corps, and pure fun. Not enough of that anymore in drum corps, in my opinion. (The "pure fun" part, that is....there are still many great corps out there. LOL) I think Dennis DeLucia hit the nail on the head when he said in a recent Drum Corps World interview that the Bridgemen worked very, very hard at perfecting all of that seemingly "spontaneous" mayhem during their show. That's the mark of a solid, polished performer, IMO....making the "rehearsed" schtick seem like it was happening for the first time.

1993 Star... talk about oil and water, following the Bridgemen! I admit, even though the '93 Star show is starting to grow on me (another fifty or so viewings and I most likely will "get" it :)), I agree totally with Michael Cesario's comment comparing that Star show to watching tropical fish through a glass partition. The technical proficiency of that corps that year is absolutely awesome, and for that my hat is off to them.... there is some wild stuff going on. But to me, there is very little connection to the general audience. I get the feeling from them that year of "We're over here performing, and you're over there watching.... and if you don't like it, we don't care." Perhaps not the best "vibe" to have when you're part of an activity that relies to a decent degree on ticket sales to survive.

1994 Blue Devils.... I've been a Devils fan for more than 30 years now, and it's shows like this that remind me why I like 'em so much, and why I tolerate the occasional misstep from them ...like their recent "Dance Derby" program/nice try/looked good on paper/fiasco. That 1994 corps had it all....great hornline, as usual... and it seems there was a more aggressive edge to the corps' visual show in '94.

1995 Madison Scouts....... the Scouts, at the YEA show that year at NJ's Giants Stadium, rendered me temporarily speechless (not easy to do... :P ) after their final power push in "Malaga." That night, I stood there at field level for a moment or so, microphone in hand, absolutely stunned by the sheer energy of that performance. So yes, I'm very happy this show made it to the Countdown! Pure rock-the-house power and emotion. 'Nuff said.

2006 Cavaliers..... I'm in awe of the visual shows this corps puts on the field year after year. Just when I think they can't do anything more, they come out with a show like "Machine." Wow!!!! This performance was a lot of fun to watch (again). Nothing against their hornline and drumline... both, obviously, are very good at what they do.... but when I watch the Cavies, that visual show takes center stage for me every year.

2006 Phantom Regiment..... were they on fire at Finals or what???? Holy mackerel. We saw 'em last year on the big screen during Quarterfinals, and I thought they were really good..... but man, they definitely took it up a notch or so on Finals night, IMO.

1989 Vanguard..... I didn't see them in 1988, so all I can go on is their 1989 Finals performance, in terms of my take on the "which 'Phantom' year was better?" discussion. To say the least, their '89 performance was fine by me! An enduring classic, and a well-deserved top spot in the fans' voting for the Countdown.

Overall, a nice night out for Barbara and me, a day before our 16th wedding aniversary. Ate some popcorn, saw some drum corps friends. Bring on the drum corps season!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

First of all, I don't know many people who marched that don't appreciate Star's fantastic '93 show. For it to make the Countdown more than once should say something.

Is it me or wasn't the Countdown initially 12 Corps? I have no problem with who makes the cut as long as it's a drum corps. Before you know it they'll be many more Countdowns in the future and you will get to see your favorites.

Like everyone my theater didn't have the sound loud enough. But, that's what you get when you don't let drum corps fans be instrumental in the decision making concerning sound among other things. How about the camera work in multi-camera productions. Here's a corps doing it's big hit and the camera shows some smiling pit player or a fantastic drill move and they show a shot from the back of the stadium. I guess nothing is perfect and I'm grateful for every opportunity that I have to see drum corps. The show was great but as always when you go to a good show it was way too short. Can't wait until the next show.

Nat

Edited by uponatime

8. 1987 Garfield Cadets

7. 1980 Bridgemen

6. 1993 Star of Indiana

5. 1994 Blue Devils

4. 2006 Cavaliers

3. 2006 Phantom Regiment

2. 1995 Madison Scouts

1. 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard

I've long since memorized 87 Garfield and, of course, 89 Vanguard, but it was still nice to know that fans appreciate those shows.

I recognized a lot of shows that have already been in the Classic Countdown (Bridgemen, Star, Vanguard) so I wonder if it's coincidence or just that people are only choosing from previous Classic Countdowns? :laugh: In any event, thank you for choosing 89 Vanguard again! I have no idea why it was chosen more than the others...but thanks just the same. :)

Oh, and our turn-out was dismal - less than a dozen people. But this was a new theater that wasn't used in previous years so perhaps that's why. We had about 5 - 6 theaters in the Los Angeles area to choose from. In the past we only had 2 - 3.

Ahhh...Thanks, Bea!!! :ph34r:

I wish I still LOOKED that young!!! (Sans the shaggy "do"!!!) :blink:

By the way, the sound in North Brunswick, NJ was GREAT!

The attendance was down about 50% from last year, but, it was a good, drum corps crowd!

Looking forward to seeing you in Reading!!! B)

AW MAN! I was going to go there, but unfortuantely, I had to be in the pit band of the school play. -.- Would've been nice to meet fellow fans B)

AW MAN! I was going to go there, but unfortuantely, I had to be in the pit band of the school play. -.- Would've been nice to meet fellow fans B)

you were playing in the wiz man? what were u playing?

1995 Madison Scouts....... the Scouts, at the YEA show that year at NJ's Giants Stadium, rendered me temporarily speechless (not easy to do... :P ) after their final power push in "Malaga." That night, I stood there at field level for a moment or so, microphone in hand, absolutely stunned by the sheer energy of that performance. So yes, I'm very happy this show made it to the Countdown! Pure rock-the-house power and emotion. 'Nuff said.

YOU?!?!?!?

SPEECHLESS?!?!?!?

Say it isn't so, brother! SAY IT ISN'T SO!!!

:doh::doh::doh: <----- me...

:doh::doh::doh: <----- me...

Ah, so it's true! RHT has multiple personalities!

:P

Garry in Vegas