Any reviews from South Milwaukee?

If it would be for the good of the corps (argueing that more horns are desired), why not take about 12 of the drummers they can obviously recruit and teach them to play (easy to play G) bugles. If I could learn to play a bugle, anyone can. Besides, it is for the good of the corps.

We do do that with some of the drummers that don't make the line. We teach a lot of people who have never played a brass or even wind instrument how to play the horns from scratch. In fact, one baritone player from my line last year came in knowing how to play the tenor saxophone - he is marching phantom on euphonium this year.

Trust me, staff and members are doing everything in their power to put out a competitive corps that is enjoyable to watch. It just doesn't happen over night. Member recruitment and retention is key in the horn and guard lines.

::edited for spelling::

Edited by megan_marie15

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my brief association with Pioneer, I can't say enough good things about them. If you have any interest in marching Div I and aren't in another corps at this point, I'd urge you to contact Pioneer and see if they might be able to fit you in.

Just some side comments.

It's been said before but the size of the hornline plays a small role in the success of the line. They've been great with 28-36 horns against a full battery, they can do it again. From personally experience, marching in a 36-40 member hornline with 9,4,5 in the battery and 16 in the pit, it's possible. It's all in the training and determination.

And as far as guard, get 16 and a good caption head and your all good to go. smaller guard.....bigger flags..... more unison work.

From my brief association with Pioneer, I can't say enough good things about them. If you have any interest in marching Div I and aren't in another corps at this point, I'd urge you to contact Pioneer and see if they might be able to fit you in.

If you can play a brass instument, have any decent marching experience, or can throw things into the air and then catch them without looking like me doing it, there is no "might be able to" in it. You'd be a lock for Pioneer.

They most likely do not have any drum openings, but other sections....here's your chance to march Div. I and see Pasadena.

Just some side comments.

It's been said before but the size of the hornline plays a small role in the success of the line. They've been great with 28-36 horns against a full battery, they can do it again. From personally experience, marching in a 36-40 member hornline with 9,4,5 in the battery and 16 in the pit, it's possible. It's all in the training and determination.

And as far as guard, get 16 and a good caption head and your all good to go. smaller guard.....bigger flags..... more unison work.

for Div. II maybe, but ONLY if you wanted to be at the bottom of Div. I would you make that your season in/season out plan of attack.

Your logic is flawed. Bigger flags? Less movement, less skill and demand means rotten visual scores.

40 horns? 16 guard? This sounds like Mandarins, Kavaliers numbers...definitely bottom of the Div. I heap with many Div. II corps with higher numbers.

We could get into a whole lot of side issues here, like fairness to show sponsors who could pay far less than Pioneer is getting for a larger Div. II corps.

Also, how thinking 40 horns and 16 guards is good enough will never get you those numbers. Think small and you'll stay small.

If Pioneer wants to take the next step in Div. I, following your way of thinking will NOT get them there.

A lot's been talked about how the corps struggles to keep and retain members for more than one season, but here's a question I have- what's their STAFF retention been like the last few years? Have they had a stable set of caption heads, or have they had a "revolving door" going on like there was with Crossmen (6 executive directors in 7 years for them, I believe)? It's pretty difficult to establish a solid technique program if there's a new staff every year.

You have hit on somewhat of an area here. If you look at our most successful section, it is the percussion section. And if you look at the staff in that section, it's had the lowest staff turnover rate out of all of the sections. Mickey Hartzog was caption head for years, and now Stuart Spoon (who worked right under Mickey) has taken over as caption head. There has been a certain continuity within that section's staff that extends almost 10 years. On the flip side, the rest of the captions have seen that "revolving door" effect. Staffers come on, do two or three years, and then move on... either to bigger/better corps or on to other things in life. So, in that respect, I guess this could be somewhat of an issue in the long run. But, I will say this, the majority of the staff members put their heart and soul into both the show and the kids... regardless of whether they're planning on being with Pioneer long term or short term. But I can see where you're coming from. Heck, I had 4 different marching styles in my 8 years with Pioneer. So I can definitely understand where the continuity issue could have a big effect!

You have hit on somewhat of an area here. If you look at our most successful section, it is the percussion section. And if you look at the staff in that section, it's had the lowest staff turnover rate out of all of the sections. Mickey Hartzog was caption head for years, and now Stuart Spoon (who worked right under Mickey) has taken over as caption head. There has been a certain continuity within that section's staff that extends almost 10 years. On the flip side, the rest of the captions have seen that "revolving door" effect. Staffers come on, do two or three years, and then move on... either to bigger/better corps or on to other things in life. So, in that respect, I guess this could be somewhat of an issue in the long run. But, I will say this, the majority of the staff members put their heart and soul into both the show and the kids... regardless of whether they're planning on being with Pioneer long term or short term. But I can see where you're coming from. Heck, I had 4 different marching styles in my 8 years with Pioneer. So I can definitely understand where the continuity issue could have a big effect!

I think it's reasonable to say that that can affect recruiting as well. In a way, it's like college sports, where sometimes kids choose one particular school not because of what the school is, but because of who the coach is. Not knowing whether or not your caption head/tech is going to be there next season could give a member a reason to move on.

They'd be better off with the bottom ones (which as far as I know are still "available"- they're on the property somewhere); having marched in the top one, I can say that we really didn't "look" like a drum corps in those.

The bottm ones are kinda literally six feet under, I think.

The bottm ones are kinda literally six feet under, I think.

I loved those uniforms! But, you are correct... they are literally six feet deep. Some where near the 32 yard line on side 1 at Pioneerland. I have the pictures of the "burial" to prove it. Although, in this day and age, it would be fairly simple to go to any of the major uniform companies with a picture and say "make this" and make it modern.

I'll also defend the original version of the current uniform when we had the khaki pants with the spats. They were unique, something that's not often found now days in many of the uniforms in drum corps or even marching band.