Loudest Crowd Reaction

I have another one that will always be special to me...it was a true drum corps moment.

2004 Hurricanes DCA Prelims performance. Their 50th anniversary show when the "predecessors" :wink: came out during the Hang Em High, Mag 7 closer in full uniform from the different eras.

That corps came a long way that year...they deserved the biggest standing "O" of the day!

And they got it! It started as soon as they hit the Mag 7 reprise.

Donny

Yes Donnie i remember that well... Thanks to you my brother i will never forget that night

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being one of my favorite Sky shows I can't tell you how many times I've listened to that recording and until you mentioned it I had never heard that before!

The other cool thing about that opening announcement for the '63 Skyliners: There are no fewer than five future Drum Corps Hall of Famers that are announced as part of the corps' staff/drum majors...... Lefty Mayer, Hy Dreitzer, Carman Cluna, Eric Perriloux, and Walter Winkleman. Pretty impressive!

Fran

right you are Fran.........and think of those two solo soprano's who are in also....Tommy Martin and Bucky Swan.

The other cool thing about that opening announcement for the '63 Skyliners: There are no fewer than five future Drum Corps Hall of Famers that are announced as part of the corps' staff/drum majors...... Lefty Mayer, Hy Dreitzer, Carman Cluna, Eric Perriloux, and Walter Winkleman. Pretty impressive!

Fran

That was an awesome crowd reaction for Sky at that show, for sure!

The Dream announcer that year was priceless.... with that NY/northern NJ accent. My favorite part is when he announces the corps....."now lining up at the starting line, are the New York Skyliners..." and the crowd goes freakin' BALLISTIC. The roar dies down a bit.... and the announcer adds, "....who have brought all of Yonkers, NY, with them this afternoon!'" Classic Dream moment.

Fran

Oh yeah, first time I heard it I started laughing. Man I love having the field announcements on the recording.

My "live moment" was 1975 DCA Finals announcement for high drums. Told the story before. Sky, Cabs, Buccs all possible winners and the field was wet from passing rain. Heavens opened up and retreat held to empty field and corps members milling around. Captions announced and Cabs - high M&M, Sky - high horns, Buccs - high GE. You could just feel the tension building when everyone realizes the captions are evenly split. Comes time for drum caption and everyone holding their breath to see which of the three takes it.

"... and the award for high drums goes to ...... the Baltimore Yankee Rebels.."

Was sitting on the back part of the stands and it sounded like thousands of voices going "WAAAAA" in surprise.

Also 1980 Matadors at end of Rocky fanfare. Still get chills hearing the fanfare and the crowd in response when I listen.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

"... and the award for high drums goes to ...... the Baltimore Yankee Rebels.."

Was sitting on the back part of the stands and it sounded like thousands of voices going "WAAAAA" in surprise.

I take it that was the loudest negative crowd reaction. :rolleyes:

There are so many great crowd responses through the years with many great moments but my memories don't pertain to any specific year but the situation. As a kid I remember when the corps would begin on the starting line, they would usually start with a loud, great fanfare or opener specific to that particular corps. When someone like Reilly, Archie, Sky, Cabs, Rebels, Hurcs would open their show with their signature and take the field, the crowds always erupted! Each corps made the hairs on your neck stand up.

I take it that was the loudest negative crowd reaction. :rolleyes:

Nope, probably the loudest reaction of pure shock. :worthy:

Everyone was so tuned into what was going on with Sky, Cabs and Buccs we (I was one of them) forgot that Rebs had a killer drum line. Think they had taken some High Drums at regular season shows against everyone else, but will have to check with HeadAnimal on that one. (He was a 75 YR snare and was with Westshore after they broke up.)

:laugh: Robbie, forgot to mention that John Flowers wrote and instructed that year.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I'm particularly fond of the year the Yankee Rebels first played two songs at a time, North and South, coming together towards the 50 yard line.

It had the fans going wild and left the poor horn" Judge" scratching his head. LMAO

As a matter of fact, because of that show they had to use more judges.

Dad was such a rebel.

The judges raised all kinds of hell over that one. LOL