Cadets' Ballads

Some British corps beat them to it a couple years back, I believe.

Any more info on that? I'm using 4'33'' in a marching band show this fall and would love to know who else has done it, as I found no success locating it being done before.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW.....how much crack did you smoke this morning???

When was the last time you watched Bluecoats 02? I LOVED what they did with it, and feel that their arrangement was superior (I saw it many times live). I admit Cadets 05 performed it very well, but I don't get the same emotional rush from hearing it - no matter how many times. Honestly, I think it's because it seems as if there are notes for the sake of notes without much musical purpose all over the place in the Cadets version. I enjoy the simplicity of the Bluecoats arrangement, and its reliance on the musicianship of the members (in fact that could be said for the entire show).

Sometimes less is more.

Edited by raphael18

When was the last time you watched Bluecoats 02? I LOVED what they did with it, and feel that their arrangement was superior (I saw it many times live). I admit Cadets 05 performed it very well, but I don't get the same emotional rush from hearing it - no matter how many times. Honestly, I think it's because it seems as if there are notes for the sake of notes without much musical purpose all over the place in the Cadets version. I enjoy the simplicity of the Bluecoats arrangement, and its reliance on the musicianship of the members (in fact that could be said for the entire show).

Sometimes less is more.

Well, in a way you are correct, there were notes for the sake of notes, especially in the drumline. Clearly, they were not trying to simply 'do' the piece as written, since what i think is the shows most moving moment relies on the drumline playing a million notes as they back away to the corner of the field. I havent heard the bluecoat version, so i'll refrain from literally comparing the two.

Cadets 2005 GREATEST front ensemble I ever heard.....

Until 2006 Phantom Regiment.

When they got out of the way of the hornline and battery. Which was the whole show. I found no reason to watch them until I got the DVDs and realized I wasn't missing much. Note-wise anyways. Their musicality was through the roof, but they didn't play anything, IMO.

The only reason I liked Cadets 05 better than 02 Bloo was because of that SICK battery part at the end.

As far as the 06 ballad goes, I didn't think it was anything special. The book was not very challenging at all, I would say advanced high school level.

The dude rolling on one note with three mallets, totally unnecessary. That made the roll speed way too fast and all you could hear was the articulation of the mallets, instead of the tone of the bar.

Great writing for ballads include PR 06, Bloo 06, Spirit 05, Cavies 04, SCV 04.