Lawsuit over marching technique ? ?

Yelling, screaming, cursing...yeah, that's a part of many individuals' drum corps experience. It's all part of the intensity that comes with this activity. But degrading a person because of her weight? Nope...drum corps folks are usually MUCH more accepting and tolerant than that, and no matter how you slice it, that is wrong.

People do some strange things when the pressure is on and you're on an exhaustive tour, hungry, totally burnt out, etc.

I've witnessed some pretty shameful riot acts so to speak and I remember one winter being told that the thinnest and prettiest would be up the front so you better get in shape. People basically stayed the same weight but it was embarrasing for many members.

As well, touching someone is out of the question and it would not have happened on my watch, but I've heard that it's happened in some corps. Pulling or pushing someone into their spot is over the top and a rifle butt would have become an accessory of any staff member who would dare. But that's just me....."Severe from Revere" - too severe for my own good but I actually never abused my position and was quite shy about it.....went right back into line when announced. I don't believe someone becomes a leader in a corps and the next minute should be critiquing other members.....I know.....insecure....

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yelling, screaming, cursing...yeah, that's a part of many individuals' drum corps experience. It's all part of the intensity that comes with this activity. But degrading a person because of her weight? Nope...drum corps folks are usually MUCH more accepting and tolerant than that, and no matter how you slice it, that is wrong.

"I bet if I put a Whopper on your dot you'd make it"

"I bet if I put a Whopper on your dot you'd make it"

Heard that one before.

Bill Solari. The master of insults and offensiveness. Also really funny. And really good at what he does.

Heard that one before.

Bill Solari. The master of insults and offensiveness. Also really funny. And really good at what he does.

Regardless of how good you are at what you do... You have to know the people you are working with, and have that rapport with the students to know if what you say is funny or not. There are certain people that I teach, that I know I can make a comment like that to, and they would laugh back and throw a joke or two back at me--that is fine! But you still need to watch it, not everyone can take "insults" in the same way and it becomes offensive; regardless if it is drum corps where it is "accepted" or high school band. Too much insulting from a leader/teacher can lead to students not having the respect for the person in charge.

As well, touching someone is out of the question and it would not have happened on my watch, but I've heard that it's happened in some corps. Pulling or pushing someone into their spot is over the top and a rifle butt would have become an accessory of any staff member who would dare. But that's just me....."Severe from Revere" - too severe for my own good but I actually never abused my position and was quite shy about it.....went right back into line when announced. I don't believe someone becomes a leader in a corps and the next minute should be critiquing other members.....I know.....insecure....

Why is touching so bad? Obviously there are some instances where it would be inappropriate but for the most part I don't see a real problem with it.

Why is touching so bad? Obviously there are some instances where it would be inappropriate but for the most part I don't see a real problem with it.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. Violence is not appropriate.

Maybe it was just my instructors, but I do not ever remember them goading uis to work using yelling, screaming and cursing as motivation devices...and that goes back pre-DCI.

I know I don't use those things, and never have. Once you get to that point you have 'lost' the members, IMO.

From this moment on, I hereby claim copyrights to Concert F. Any use of Concert F in any form shall indicate a willingness to pay me $1.00 per use. Therefore if a corps or other musical unit plays a Concert F in unison and there are 64 musicians playing said Concert F, I shall be sent a check for $64 by said musical unit.

there's only one way to solve this:

rocks, stones, and boulders..................lots of them

:P

kidding