the perfect "Rome" show...

A poster on the 98 Phantom thread mentioned that he/she wasn't happy to see that Phantom was going to be performing Pines of Rome in 1998. I'm not sure that I agree with this, but I would say that PR's arrangements that year were lacking (particularly compared to some of the great arrangements they've had over the years).

So... what is the perfect show featuring Rome-inspired music?

And don't say "Star 1991." That's too easy.

I think it'd be tough to do a Rome show and not touch Pines of Rome...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A poster on the 98 Phantom thread mentioned that he/she wasn't happy to see that Phantom was going to be performing Pines of Rome in 1998. I'm not sure that I agree with this, but I would say that PR's arrangements that year were lacking (particularly compared to some of the great arrangements they've had over the years).

So... what is the perfect show featuring Rome-inspired music?

And don't say "Star 1991." That's too easy.

I think it'd be tough to do a Rome show and not touch Pines of Rome...

I kind of cringe when I hear they're doing Tchaikovsky now, too. Gee, I wonder why? Sorry, I know everything, or at least that's how I seem to come across all the time. Definition of arrogance, I think. I had about 8 show themes in mind back when they would have worked with the old scoring system. A couple corps actually did them. Yanni and Crossmen--I mean, exact corps, exact music. Weird.

My mind doesn't function in the new scoring system yet. I see drill when I hear music, but the whole GE thing is foreign to me.

I don't know that Pines would work today. Everything is so mix-matched now. For example, Faust and Machine. Faust wasn't really Faust--it was a story put to completely unrelated music. And Machine was music written to drill and GE. Sorry to have just offended all of you--probably good for a couple pages worth of replies. Look at my previous posts and you'll see that I loved Faust and was completely mesmerized with the last three Cavies shows.

Shows like New World or Pines of Rome won't work. Mix match shows like Modern Imagination, maybe. The challenge for Phantom is to pick and choose pieces that can be put together in an effective, unrelated theme.

Shameless thread takeover: How about a Phantom Voices? Lots of opera out there. A little Wagner, a little Verdi, and some French or Russian stuff for good measure. Theme? How about Italian operas on the theme of Roman Images???

I kind of cringe when I hear they're doing Tchaikovsky now, too. Gee, I wonder why? Sorry, I know everything, or at least that's how I seem to come across all the time. Definition of arrogance, I think. I had about 8 show themes in mind back when they would have worked with the old scoring system. A couple corps actually did them. Yanni and Crossmen--I mean, exact corps, exact music. Weird.

My mind doesn't function in the new scoring system yet. I see drill when I hear music, but the whole GE thing is foreign to me.

I don't know that Pines would work today. Everything is so mix-matched now. For example, Faust and Machine. Faust wasn't really Faust--it was a story put to completely unrelated music. And Machine was music written to drill and GE. Sorry to have just offended all of you--probably good for a couple pages worth of replies. Look at my previous posts and you'll see that I loved Faust and was completely mesmerized with the last three Cavies shows.

Shows like New World or Pines of Rome won't work. Mix match shows like Modern Imagination, maybe. The challenge for Phantom is to pick and choose pieces that can be put together in an effective, unrelated theme.

Shameless thread takeover: How about a Phantom Voices? Lots of opera out there. A little Wagner, a little Verdi, and some French or Russian stuff for good measure. Theme? How about Italian operas on the theme of Roman Images???

Won't work? Why would a drum corps show not work? If you have quality drill and quality music, your show design will work. Period.

I really like the "loose theme" kind of shows. "Songs for a Summer Night" - what a great show title. It's interesting for the audience to think about during the show, and corps can go so many different ways musically. I think PR has been great at developing great "loose theme" titles: Modern Imagination, Songs for a Summer Night, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky, Defiant Heart, Harmonic Journey, etc. Such cool titles.

Here's guessing that "On Air" is based around some visual theme, and appropriate music was chosen to match some visual idea. Much like the Faust show...

Well, essentially at the time "Sartacus" (Phantom 81 & 82) were brilliant shows, and still regarded today as ground breaking and revolutionary.

As far as themes of Rome go, IMO, the music by Aram Khachaturian is second only to "Pines of Rome." There is alot of good music in that piece that was not utilized and would make an excellent show (yes I know others like Blue Stars also performed some of the music also).

Here's an intersting concept: actually arrange a show with themes and music ACTUALLY from ancient Rome? (think outside the box here!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_music

Edited by garfield_cadets

Won't work? Why would a drum corps show not work? If you have quality drill and quality music, your show design will work. Period.

Hrothgar, go march some D3 somewhere so you have a clue about what I said. Period.

I really like the "loose theme" kind of shows. "Songs for a Summer Night" - what a great show title. It's interesting for the audience to think about during the show, and corps can go so many different ways musically. I think PR has been great at developing great "loose theme" titles: Modern Imagination, Songs for a Summer Night, Adventures Under a Darkened Sky, Defiant Heart, Harmonic Journey, etc. Such cool titles.

Here's guessing that "On Air" is based around some visual theme, and appropriate music was chosen to match some visual idea. Much like the Faust show...

That was kind of a sore point in the "Doug Rutherford" era. For, like, a thousand years it was "Summer of...<fill in the blank>." Summer of Phantom Voices, Summer of the Modern Imagination. 94 comes along and all of a sudden it becomes Songs for a Summer Night. 95 Adventures Under a Darkened Sky. You notice what they are now? Summer of Rhapsody. Summer of Faust. Minor point outside PR, kind of disappointing aspect of that being my only year.

On Air sounds kind of intriguing given the last two shows. I've at least got an open mind on this one. Now if they can just get the show on the field in finished form before Finals night. Management.

Back to Rome, how about a little bit of Verdi Requiem? Doesn't get much more Roman than that! And the quarter note hits to start the Dies Irae!! With the new 150 member corps, can you imagine that??

Boom!! Boom!! Boom!! Boom!! Dut Du-Duh, Dut Du-Duh, Dut Du-Duh, Da Da Dies Irae! Followed by a whole bunch of little black notes. Sweet!

Well, there's already a Rome show in NY basically every year. Why would we need another one?

BECAUSE SOME CORPS DONT GET TO GO TO IT and every corps should. i miss the pre-show-catered dinner (AMAZING), in addition to some of the specific people that help host the event. :)

That was kind of a sore point in the "Doug Rutherford" era. For, like, a thousand years it was "Summer of...<fill in the blank>." Summer of Phantom Voices, Summer of the Modern Imagination. 94 comes along and all of a sudden it becomes Songs for a Summer Night. 95 Adventures Under a Darkened Sky. You notice what they are now? Summer of Rhapsody. Summer of Faust. Minor point outside PR, kind of disappointing aspect of that being my only year.

On Air sounds kind of intriguing given the last two shows. I've at least got an open mind on this one. Now if they can just get the show on the field in finished form before Finals night. Management.

Back to Rome, how about a little bit of Verdi Requiem? Doesn't get much more Roman than that! And the quarter note hits to start the Dies Irae!! With the new 150 member corps, can you imagine that??

Boom!! Boom!! Boom!! Boom!! Dut Du-Duh, Dut Du-Duh, Dut Du-Duh, Da Da Dies Irae! Followed by a whole bunch of little black notes. Sweet!

Phantom '95 is my favorite show title (and show) ever, with '94 in a close second.

You caused Colts '99 to come to mind, by the way.

Edited by Jared_mello