Pavilion Show in N. CA

Dave Gibbs has the awesome reponsibility to protect and market the Blue Devil brand and its associated groups. As technology changes, the methods used to safeguard this highly successful product will evolve accordingly. Folks need to give the guy a break. He's doing his job.

Debada

(Dugada's Wife)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you like to see BD sued because they didn't think they needed to pay for rights to cover the Pavillion show?

MikeD: Edit for filter circumvention

This is the root of the issue for me.

Who exactly is it that is going to sue? I have been trying to figure this out for the last 24 hours.

Surely the original composers of whatever is being performed have agreed to terms for it's public display by the performing organizations, and I just can't see these people saying OK if you play it on BlueView, but not on Youtube.

Same for the arrangers.

I thought, maybe it's some of the other performers?

Am I expected to believe that the Renegades or the Alumni unit would not be THRILLED to have a couple hundred people want to watch their performance?

There is a top 2 drum corps actually posting camp updates on Youtube, embracing the opportunity for generating some excitement and free "PR" :rolleyes: through the technology.

It is DCI and the corps that do not want video tape of the prohibited performances circulating around, and I believe that the content of these performances, in the wrong hands, at the wrong time, could cost a corps needed fundraising revenue. I also think that lot and practice footage shown might actually INCREASE the same revenue.

Please don't misunderstand, If Mr. Gibbs, or anyone in the organization asks me not to post something, I will oblige their wishes out of respect for their class organization, no question. I realize that as technology progresses, the issue will be more complex. I never want to see it come to banning cameras and video during rehearsals and warm ups.

I believe that BD wanted to be in control of releasing content and show announcements their own way, for their own reasons.

I think they are smart enough to know that with such a blatant delay in the announcement, coupled with allowing camcorders for this performance, that there would be an immediate demand by the internet public to get news as soon as the show was over.

BlueView needed to be up before any youtube, to be sure of controling the situation. The personal request to the posters was the only way of trying to get the control. Luckily, those with the content seem to be smart enough to respect the wishes, and honor the request, and luckily...

they did it after I had a chance to see it! :P

BTW...sounded to me like we might be adding 1 to 11 in 2007!!!!

GO BD!!!

Okay, how about "Don't be a ####", then?

You are acting like a petulant child. Grow up and show some consideration for the corps ... In this "digital age", most content publishing organizations are agressively pursuing Internet-based copyright violations. Would you like to see BD sued because they didn't think they needed to pay for rights to cover the Pavillion show?

MikeD: Edit for filter circumvention

I totally agree. Let this be a lesson though. Maybe whoever was putting on the show should have made an announcement like the kind Madison Scouts/Capital Sound folks did at their open house:

"You can record, but please don't post the files on the internet. Thank you!"

That would have been nice and cool.

Kids sometimes do things that adults wouldn't dare, because adults think ahead (LOL, this is theory).

I didn't want to take a picture of the new Scout's uniform and post it on the web "out of respect", but other people did. So, I guess this is just one more thing to be added to the speech for next year folks!

Edited by jjeffeory

Man, I miss the good ole' days of the carefree sharing of information on the net: show themes, uniform photos, rehearsal/run-through/exhibition videos, etc. By that, I mean two or three years ago. I used to think that was one of the great things about the evolution of the net and drum corps. Now it's 1989 again -- when I started marching -- and we're back to passing around things we've heard from someone who heard from someone who... Bring back the DCI score hotline (just $1.99/minute)!

Please -- no explanations about branding, copyright, etc.

Edited by Glad To Be Hear

Sorry everyone, but due to multiple requests from BlueView producer John Christensen, I removed the video of the runthrough from my youtube (hybridjohnny) profile.
you have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!! Isn't blueview a FREE publication from BD? Was there an announcement at the show or disclaimer posted in the program? I'm mean ....... seRIOUSLY! You're not losing money over someone posting a vid of your concert Blue Devils! It's a free website showing a vid of a free concert that promotes YOU and Drum Corps as a whole.

Ego trip 101.

I agree with you supersop. Dave Gibbs Stated "We would like to be the ones that first distribute the content and allow our fans to access the video and audio. At that point, we hope our customers follow the applicable rules and laws when we make that material available to the consumer. " This makes me feel that this is a tad less about legalities and more about the fact that they did NOT want anyone to steal there thunder. Its funny.....these corps (BD being one of them) talk about how they want to push this activity in to the next level and keep advancing and then they go and snuff out something like this. I guess all they want to do is have their cake and eat it to. Big shocker huh?

PS

If the Blue Devils did NOT want this to show up on the web, it should have been mentioned several times during the concert....just like at all other drum corps shows.

two points. If Mr. Gibbs doesn't want it posted than his request should be met. However, especially in this technology age, I find it hard to believe they really expected to have people there with cameras and such and not have the information distributed. If you really don't want the stuff to show up anywhere, than I would say don't let them film it in the first place. I've seen the Cavaliers ask people to please not film them in the lot because they were working on making a DVD or something like that. It's that easy. If you don't want it out there, don't let folks film it.

There are a lot of videos I have seen that have real bad qualities about them because of the equipment used and it is easy in this day and age to judge something like this off of the internet and get the wrong idea. They simply want everyone to see it through their professional equipment first, so that the normal person checking it out on the net won't say "Man they sound like they suck this year" because of the audio/video quality. Or I could be wrong and David Gibbs could be a world mastermind of hiding BD videos and Congress could just be his puppet.....but I'll go with my first assertation.