BK's visual style

BK's visual style  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like BK's visual style?

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

For clarification sake, I decided to take pictures of BK's style. Forgive my pasty white legs, giant calfs, and tiny ankles....

Here, as some of you have called, is our "knee pop", or Prep step. We use this to initiate time, almost like a visual breath.

prep.jpg

Here would be the first step.

step.jpg

Pushing from the back leg, we then pass on a "coupee", or however you ballet people call it, with the toe pointed and the foot at a 90 degree angle.

pass.jpg

Keeping the toe pointed in a "tondue", we reach as far as we need to for our next step.

reach.jpg

And on the next step, we flip our foot and step.

step2.jpg

Complex? Yes. Hard to do the first time? Yes. Looks awesome? You better believe it! They teach this to us from day one, and keep making us practice it until Finals day.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen somebody ride a bicycle with their toes pointed at a 90 degree angle, but I'm sure it'd be hilarious to watch.

Edited by biggs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan--Nice clarification and breakdown on the technique--Now I understand it a lot more.

Can you explain the backward technique for us here? I expect to see pictures for that clarification and breakdown as well! :P

Edited by Matthew

Less is more. I don't like it.

Yes, but it is a unique style, something that people have been begging to have more of!

I'm a big fan of how the technique looks when it's done with the right show. I think it looks appropriate with the symphonic/classical literature that BK does often. I think it fits perfectly with the current identity and philosophy of the corps, and I like that the organization is willing to be their own thing when so many ensembles look to fit in.

That being said, I don't think it works in all contexts. For instance, the BK winter brass ensemble looks out of place marching with a really dance-oriented marching style while playing Tower of Power on a grafiti painted tarp. And for the Blue Toons show in '01, it seemed really disjointed to me.

I don't think that BK should change the marching technique to fit different show styles, but instead it should all be part and parcel. I think the corps has done a good job at defining/recapturing its identity and style since 2002, and as they keep some continuity year to year, both with technique and aesthetic style, the sky's the limit to how well they can perform.

It's a process, but I hope they stay the course. I like where it's heading.

Yes, but it is a unique style, something that people have been begging to have more of!

Unique is fine. But being unique doesn't always mean that it's good. And I say that as my own personal preference for what they do. If others dig it, cool. I've just never been crazy about it.

bliss_silly_walk.jpg

:)

Okay, so we all know that the blue knights have a unique take on movement. It's definitely different from the norm, and folks tend to be a bit divided over it. So, what do you think about it? Are you a fan, or no? Discuss pros and cons, please!

I have not read more than the first post of this thread but I will bet any some of money that if I do read further...I will see that some of the same "old school purists" who complain that "the activity does not have enough variety and that corps do not have enough individual character and personality" are knocking the Blue Knights technique because it's so "out of the norm".

And the fickleness and hypocrisy of so many DCP posters continues...

I don't enjoy it all that much. I think it's distracting. But I do applaud them for putting it all out there for the world to see. As long as the technique is consistent, thats good enough for me.

I like the style a lot. Especially the knee-pop or how you call it, gives a change of direction a lot more balls if you ask me, it looks so cool. Personally I like to have a comfortable way of marching and this technique looks very comfortable, which I think is good for musicality.

And the fickleness and hypocrisy of so many DCP posters continues...

So you might want to actually go back and READ the posts you are criticizing before you go off on how people can be fickle and hypocritical. Otherwise, you're really no better than that which you seem to disdain. People have stated their dislike of this technique for a variety of reasons, as well as their reasons for LIKING it for a variety of reasons. BK members themselves realize that it's not everyone's cup of tea. It is what it is. Some people like it, some people don't.

Edited by rut-roh