1. 1. Do you like BK's visual style?

• Yes
    • No
    • Meh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it to be very distracting and a lot less uniform than the other corps placing near them. I'd have to check out the vids again, but I remember thinking a lot of the movement was unnecessary. I do have to say, there was enough uniformity that I could tell it was a unique approach, and not simply an exaggerated Cavies style.

for anyone who marches / marched / teaches at bk.. three questions... i have always known bks technique is different and i like it for the character of the corp, but i dont really know too much about it in detail

is there ever points where it seems more trouble then its worth?

and

are there every points where the technique hinders the ability of the marchers?

and

can you define it in detail for me? particularly what happens with the foot that is landing (roll or toe into ground)

how does the technique differ when the tempos change?

Edited by shaners

Their marching reminds me of show horses....waaaaay too much going on in the lower body for my liking.

I think the visual style works very well for them at slower to moderate tempos. But once you get into down beat initiation tempos, I feel that is where the style becomes disjunct between members of the corps proper. You can clearly see the technique in slower passages. I've noticed a few times in recent years, that at faster tempos--not everyone in the corps proper was doing the same technique (some were doing the style we know them for--while others were doing a more "straight leg" type technique). Getting everyone to do the technique and make it look uniform seems to be hard for this technique--in my opinion.

When you are marching faster, you do not want to have to put more work into your visual performance technique than you have to (I am not saying be lazy)--and it seems like that is the case with a lot of bent knee styles. More work/effort is going into it, and it becomes disjunct and harder to clean from person to person. Blue Devils look good at what they do, and they make it look smooth and effortless (straight leg technique). I appreciate both styles of marching.

I'm a huge fan of choreography from the the marching musiciains--it adds another layer of responsibilty and when done well, maturity to the overall program. Some of their moves (choreography) are so out there, and it makes me appreciate the corps that much more.

And I too--enjoyed the 2006 show, musically and visually.

They just wouldn't be Blue Knights if they didn't do what they do!

Every corps that bicycles says, "We don't bicycle!"

Get over it. If you have a large knee lift/bend in your technique, you are doing what is known by 98% of the marching community as bicycling.

Who cares? If it looks good and works for you, don't worry what anybody else calls it.