1972 corps

Garry.......chill. Can't you see that we are in the presence of one so young, so wise, so good, that he must surely be the Buddah?

I must have been blinded by his magnificent presence. Well, no, not really.

Comments were sarcastic, yes, but not unlike some remarks posted by the extreme left on steroids.

Yup, I know. Those could disappear, too, and this would be a happier place. The lack of a blue complexion wiould indicate that I'm not holding my breath on that one!

Tell us further of your infallable knowledge oh divine one.....please.....we wait on every word.

Sure, reign me in then bait him? Troublemaker!

:P

Garry in Vegas

PS Taking a shot at the 20 California corps in 1972...

Velvet Knights

Squires

Anaheim Kingsmen

Kings Lancers

California Crusaders

Lynwood Diplomats

Los Angeles Chinese Imperial Dragons

Golden Statesmen

3rd Generation

Koyasan Boy Scouts

Royal Guardsmen

Monterey Park Girls

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Knight Raiders

Stockton Commodores

Capitolaires

Conquistadores

Royalaires

Mandarins

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty accurate list. The Conquistadors and Mandarins aren't yet documented to have been active in '72. Conquistadors came out in '73, and Mandarins in '74. But this census has constant additions when new information is received. You can imagine how difficult it is to learn of the status of some of these smaller corps from 35 years ago.

A few other performing California juniors from '72 were:

Blue Mists--Manhattan Beach

'C' Cadets--Stockton

Castanets--Carson

Royal Blues--West Covina

Royal Dragoons--Los Angeles

Santa Clara 'B' (as they were known until 1988)

Vaqueros--Lakewood

IIRC Castanets was the previous name for the Royal Guardsmen (and was probably the 1972 name)...

But I await correction..

Edited by GuyW

I have done the yearly North American junior corps census for Drum Corps World since the early 1990's.

In terms of North American juniors that made it onto the field in 1972, the number currently stands at 442. There were another 40 or so that were non-field, but still performed in public.

There were hundreds of senior corps that year as well.

For the junior corps that made it to the field in '72, here's a breakdwon of where most came from:

NY--61

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

MI--12

FL--9

WA--9

MN--8

IA--8

OH--8

OR--8

so I know there were corps in New Hampshire and Maine...they aren't in the count..

I only listed the top producing states/provinces.

As far as field active corps are concerned, Maine shows 1 junior active in '72, and New Hampshire had 4. There was 1 additional New Hampshire junior that did parades only that year.

Edited by Northern Thunder

That's a pretty accurate list. The Conquistadors and Mandarins aren't yet documented to have been active in '72. Conquistadors came out in '73, and Mandarins in '74.

Both Conquistadors and Mandarins competed prior to 1972, though. I've seen Mandarins listed in contest results as early as 1967. Conquistadors were originally known as the South San Francisco Kingsmen, competing in '68 and '69 under that name before changing their moniker for the '70 season.

A few other performing California juniors from '72 were:

Blue Mists--Manhattan Beach

'C' Cadets--Stockton

Castanets--Carson

Royal Blues--West Covina

Royal Dragoons--Los Angeles

Santa Clara 'B' (as they were known until 1988)

Vaqueros--Lakewood

Vaqueros were a 1973 remake of the Lakewood Diplomats, so that name does not appear in 1972 contest results.

No, there were thousands of drum corps in 1972, one in every neighborhood and a show every night. DCP members have said so, so it must be true, and citing their posts is all the proof I need.

icon_whaa.gif