1972 corps

Alabama had 1 in 1972: Charioteers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done the yearly North American junior corps census for Drum Corps World since the early 1990's.

In terms of North American juniors that made it onto the field in 1972, the number currently stands at 442. There were another 40 or so that were non-field, but still performed in public.

There were hundreds of senior corps that year as well.

For the junior corps that made it to the field in '72, here's a breakdwon of where most came from:

NY--61

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

MI--12

FL--9

WA--9

MN--8

IA--8

OH--8

OR--8

While there, unquestionably, were many more competitive junior corps in 1972, I find the number of competitive junior field corps for New York State to seem inflated. I marched competitive junior corps in New York State from 1966-1974 and know that I never marched a state legion championship with anywhere near 61 junior corps (greater than 20, yes). Also when I try to count up the number of competitive corps in NYS for all those years, I can't approach that number. Now if you add in the parade corps...maybe. I suppose that there may have some NYC competitive corps which did very little traveling outside the eastern seaboard which I am missing.

My memories of the peak years for the number of junior corps in NYS would be the late 60's. Unfortunately, there has been a progressive decline in numbers in the DCI era with cause and effect being a very hot topic of debate.

The reality behind the census is that the numbers reported are always smaller than how many there actually were. These are just the ones that have been documented as being active. There may well have been in excess of 90 active in '72, since many corps that are reported as active in both 1971 and 1973 are not listed as being active in '72. Most probably were. The vast majority of junior corps in NY never competed at the state contests. Just the number of all-girl corps from NY is amazing.

While there, unquestionably, were many more competitive junior corps in 1972, I find the number of competitive junior field corps for New York State to seem inflated. I marched competitive junior corps in New York State from 1966-1974 and know that I never marched a state legion championship with anywhere near 61 junior corps (greater than 20, yes).

True, but state AL was usually held upstate. There were quite a number of corps on Long Island back then, as well as elsewhere in the metro NYC area and Hudson Valley, who did not make a habit of attending the Legion state contest.

• 11 months later...

RE: Redwood City, CA, PAL Guardsmen.

Taught the brass line in 72, tiny horn line, never got on the field that year. I gave them "Music For A Ceremony",

"More And More" (BS&T)....that's all that I can recall about them.....I left CA for parts unknown in about July of that year.

Also taught Mandarin in 72, Stan Knaub did drill but left to tour with SCV just before I left. I gave them the book to Sweet Charity (Good Lord! A "theme" show based on one Broadway production....back then?) They played "If They Could See Me Now", color pre was a Charles Ives inspired "I'm A Brass Band", into concert with "I Love To Cry At Weddings." Can't quite remember concert, perhaps "Where Am I Going" and the next two numbers are completely lost to me.

They had some Jim Ott charts in their book previously. I remember holding the score to "Sing You Sinners."

After that memory fades concerning my time in NorCal, except for hanging out at SCV rehearsals and being in awe of their line and Mr. Royer.

RON HOUSLEY

I have done the yearly North American junior corps census for Drum Corps World since the early 1990's.

In terms of North American juniors that made it onto the field in 1972, the number currently stands at 442. There were another 40 or so that were non-field, but still performed in public.

There were hundreds of senior corps that year as well.

For the junior corps that made it to the field in '72, here's a breakdwon of where most came from:

NY--61

MA--49

NJ--39

WI--38

QUE--30

IL--24

PA--23

ONT--23

CA--20

CT--20

MI--12

FL--9

WA--9

MN--8

IA--8

OH--8

OR--8

You know, I've alluded to this in other topic threads and I can assure you that a) corpsreps, although they have tried their best, do not have the full roster of shows for every year and b) In New York State alone - not even counting the parade corps there were circuit shows for what we then called "Class 'B' Corps" Our season began and April and ran through the end of August but corpsreps only has us down as been in 3 shows that whole year! In July and August - oh wait - it was the CYO Nationals and the World Open prelims and finals - so that's only 2 shows. I said all of that to say this: There were a lot more Drum Corps participating in a lot more shows during the course of four months than most of us could ever imagine. If you count the Friday night shows many corps had has many as 30 competitions during their seasons in the late 60s and and early 70s. And oh yeah there was at least one "Class 'A' Corps" from Delaware - more than that, you think?

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

I've said it MANY times....There is no website that has even close to half the contests that took place, or the musical repertoires played over the decades. Drum corps had no governing body to oversee such things, and even DCI is lacking in the contest information over the years. Much of this information is lost forever.

People would be astounded to know how HUGE the drum corps scene was. People from DCI have chastized me over the years for overstating the number of active junior corps from the early years of DCI. As I stated earlier....The number of active corps is ALWAYS underreported, it is never overreported.

Yes.....there really were that many corps.....and even many more!

Yes people would be astounded! In NY if you only go by state AL Championships you will only get a small idea of how many corps there were in NY. We marched in many parades and saw at least 10 parade corps in the Western NY area alone and probably more.

I've said it MANY times....There is no website that has even close to half the contests that took place, or the musical repertoires played over the decades. Drum corps had no governing body to oversee such things, and even DCI is lacking in the contest information over the years. Much of this information is lost forever.

People would be astounded to know how HUGE the drum corps scene was. People from DCI have chastized me over the years for overstating the number of active junior corps from the early years of DCI. As I stated earlier....The number of active corps is ALWAYS underreported, it is never overreported.

Yes.....there really were that many corps.....and even many more!

Yes people would be astounded! In NY if you only go by state AL Championships you will only get a small idea of how many corps there were in NY. We marched in many parades and saw at least 10 parade corps in the Western NY area alone and probably more.

Right you are, Keith. Just off the top of my head I can count at least 13 active competing Drum Corps from NYC alone. But I just googled and came up with an incredible article written in 2006 where the guy lists all the once were drum corps that are now inactive or folded the number is 1241!

I was going to paste the list but you can see it for yourself at: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Re...6/msg01031.html

Sorry for going so far off topic.

Puppet

Right you are, Keith. Just off the top of my head I can count at least 13 active competing Drum Corps from NYC alone. But I just googled and came up with an incredible article written in 2006 where the guy lists all the once were drum corps that are now inactive or folded the number is 1241!

I was going to paste the list but you can see it for yourself at: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Re...6/msg01031.html

Sorry for going so far off topic.

Puppet

Oh, I think that is very much on topic, Puppet. There used to be so many corps, many of them marching members as young at 9 or 10 years old. I was 12 when I started.