Problems accessing DCP

periodically, i am unable to connect to DCP at work (main site, forums, any part of the site). for example, yesterday, i was unable to access DCP all day. i used to think the site was down, but, when i get home, i see that people have been happily (or not so happily in the CE forum!!) posting away. however, the problem, always corrects itself. today, i can access it at work no problem. i assume that it has nothing to do with java, flash, or other items that need to be installed with the browser since it is a periodic problem. for obvious reasons, i cannot just call our IT guys and ask them why i can't access DCP!

any thoughts on what could be causing this? thanks!

Edited by abgiles

It could be a DNS issue...I've had it happen on several occasions.

JohnD is much better than I am at assisting with this. :)

Thanks, Mike.

It does sound like a DNS problem.

If your DNS configuration is managed by your company IT department (as most are), there's not a lot that we can do to help. As a former IT Director - I'd find it difficult to advise you to start hacking around in your machine. In addition to the whole control issue, changing the DNS could 'break' internal applications.

For some reason that we've been unable to determine - some ISPs have an intermittent problem with our domain name resolution. We've looked at it ..... our hosting company has looked at it ..... and other 'experts' that I know have looked at it ... and all agree that the problem is intermittent and outside of our control. Sadly, no help in your case.

If you do have the ability to change your DNS configuration on your system, drop me a PM and I'll give you a couple of addresses to try.

-john

Thanks, Mike and John -

I agree that I shouldn't start mucking around with any of my network settings! Not only might it affect the machine and applications, it could have a detrimental effect on my career. On the days when the machine decides to not play nice, I guess I will just get more work done. Thanks again for the feedback.

Thanks, Mike.

It does sound like a DNS problem.

If your DNS configuration is managed by your company IT department (as most are), there's not a lot that we can do to help. As a former IT Director - I'd find it difficult to advise you to start hacking around in your machine. In addition to the whole control issue, changing the DNS could 'break' internal applications.

For some reason that we've been unable to determine - some ISPs have an intermittent problem with our domain name resolution. We've looked at it ..... our hosting company has looked at it ..... and other 'experts' that I know have looked at it ... and all agree that the problem is intermittent and outside of our control. Sadly, no help in your case.

If you do have the ability to change your DNS configuration on your system, drop me a PM and I'll give you a couple of addresses to try.

-john

FWIW, Tony, i have had the same problem from home for about the last year. I'd be blocked from the Planet for days, practically every weekend, and it would resolve itself. Over time the frequency diminished to where it now only happens to me maybe once or twice a month for a couple of hours, no more than 24 hours max <<banging on wood feverishly>>. Just DCP, no other sites.

I've learned to live with it and rely on other fine Internet based entertainment................ :P

The DCP come in loud an clear down here in Rio. Rex an I are having a leetel bacation, of course.

See you zoon.

B

Edited by BetoSuave

Just recently, I discovered this very same problem. Every couple of days, I would be denied access to DCP, and only DCP. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

Just recently, I discovered this very same problem. Every couple of days, I would be denied access to DCP, and only DCP. I'm not sure what the problem is, but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

DITTO that. I am not a computer Guru or even close but the wife seems to think that the 10, or so, GaZillion temporary internet files was the cause here. You may try and delete them and see if it helps.

I have experienced this issue quite often. It seems to behave like DNS issue.

Also, part of the issue could be that the name servers are self-referential.

What I mean is that both the primary and secondary name servers for drumcorpsplanet.com are set to subs of dcp-partners.net, while the nameservers for dcp-partners.net are also set to dcp-partners.net... and both nameservers are set on the same block. If a provider has difficulty accessing the DNS cache for that single block, then then it cannot resolve since there is no secondary reference outside of that particular block that is unavailable.

A quick fix for this could be to add an additional nameserver for each that are a different chunk of the bone than Level 3.

There are some free providers for this, like http://www.xname.org.

I have experienced this issue quite often. It seems to behave like DNS issue.

Also, part of the issue could be that the name servers are self-referential.

What I mean is that both the primary and secondary name servers for drumcorpsplanet.com are set to subs of dcp-partners.net, while the nameservers for dcp-partners.net are also set to dcp-partners.net... and both nameservers are set on the same block. If a provider has difficulty accessing the DNS cache for that single block, then then it cannot resolve since there is no secondary reference outside of that particular block that is unavailable.

A quick fix for this could be to add an additional nameserver for each that are a different chunk of the bone than Level 3.

There are some free providers for this, like http://www.xname.org.

Thank you, Daniel. Yes, you're right - both DNS entries point to the same subnet.

I'm going to have a look at provisioning an alternate DNS server, which may help. However, if a particular subnet (ISP) is having problems connecting to the DNS server for DCP name resolution - being able to get name resolution from an alternate DNS server won't help much with getting to the site.

That said - I'm willing to try most things to solve this elusive problem.

Stay tuned.

-john