10 Commandments for Drum Corps Parents

Going to see your kid at a show is one of the best things you can do. My parents can't afford to fly out and volunteer, but they and my grandparents drove over 250 miles last summer to see a show I was in. They brought me some socks, white t-shirts, sunscreen, and my grandmother made a big box of home made chocolate chip cookies! I was one of the most popular kids on my bus that night!

It meant the world to me to be able to spend some time with them after being away for a full month with totally new people.

On another note...your kid may call up a few days into everydays and complain about how hard it is, how tired they are, and how they're not having any fun. Listen, be supportive, then hang up and forget about it. Whatever you do, don't just let them come home because it's hard and they're not having any fun(yet!). Their new friends will be going through the exact same things, and they'll have to learn to help each other through it.

It's a cruel trick that the worst part of drum corps is right at the beginning of the summer, but in retrospect having gone through everydays is something that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was pushed harder than I had ever been pushed before, physically, mentally, and emotionally. But in the process I made some of the best friends I've ever had, and I accomplished more than I had ever thought possible. Once I got on tour, I had an absolute blast traveling around the country performing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou very much KeepOnFoodTruckin'. Excellent post.

Could I get you or any other DC parents out there to list some of the benefits of DC and/or advice to calm some of the typical fears parents have when deciding if their child should participate?

I'm trying to get one of my band director friend's kids involved with a DC but I'm hearing second hand that his parents are recoiling and wondering what the heck DC is. They've never heard of it and it sounds like they are reticent to let "lil punkin" go far away from home for a whole summer. I don't have specific "hang-ups" right now, but I think any reassuring advice from a fellow parent might carry more weight than thoughts from a random bachelor like me.

Thanks in advance!!!

this should be pinned at the top of the forum.. one of the best things I've ever read here.

Thanks to a fellow food-trucker.. and Congrats on surviving Year 1! :)

Stef

Definitely agree. My mom's support is the main thing that got me through the season last year. I don't think I would have gotten the same experience without her!!

Thankyou very much KeepOnFoodTruckin'. Excellent post.

Could I get you or any other DC parents out there to list some of the benefits of DC and/or advice to calm some of the typical fears parents have when deciding if their child should participate?

I'm trying to get one of my band director friend's kids involved with a DC but I'm hearing second hand that his parents are recoiling and wondering what the heck DC is. They've never heard of it and it sounds like they are reticent to let "lil punkin" go far away from home for a whole summer. I don't have specific "hang-ups" right now, but I think any reassuring advice from a fellow parent might carry more weight than thoughts from a random bachelor like me.

Thanks in advance!!!

First your friend probably needs to start off small by showing the parents video's of Past drum corps finals. Bringing in current members of drum corps from the area could be very helpful. Probably figure the first couple of years introducing the idea of drum corps to people will take some work. You may only get one or two kids to go then once they go and talk about their personal experiences and their parents talk about their experiences more will follow.

I have been committed to the activity for over 11 years and when I met my wife she couldn't undertand why i would do something like this. After many different types of exposure to the activity she has become supportive of my apssion for drum corps and is becoming a fan of the activity. I am try ing to prep her t for the day when one of our children says I want to march.

If you knew nothing about Drum Corps it does come off as a strange activity and most people that no nothing about it will say "Why would you do that?" "You pay for that!" Why?

Keep showing and keep exposing people to the activity then they will see the greatness behind the activity.

Shannon

Thou shalt not try to be an instructor!

^0^

One year when I was teaching, our corps was only an exhibition corps and we went to DCM to "watch".

"Some" of the parents decided the staff wasn't doing enough to keep the girls busy before the show started, so they had the girls get out on an empty field and do marching drills. Most of the kids did not even have proper footwear because we hadn't planned practice that day.

The rest of the parents were great though!

Edited by lnavis

• 3 weeks later...
I started out volunteering to support my kids in the activity, but now, I do it for myself! I can't think of any other way I'd rather be spending my free time, and this year, being my oldest daughter's age-out, wild horses couldn't keep me away! I've met some of my very best friends through drum corps, and to any parents that think they might not "fit in" or " not be useful", let me tell you- there is SOMETHING for everyone to do...you kids will thank you for it!

I hear ya!!!!!

My kids grew up around drumcorps but it was special to be with them their age-out years. I worked the souvie stand, served meals on tour and at camps,etc. The kids in the corps enjoyed my stories of the "olden days"- pre DCI and the first years.

Great post...mandatory reading. I really appreciate what you wrote and I'm positive your corps appreciates you working and your great attitude. They are extremely lucky to have you.

When my wife and I went to our first Parents session...our oldest was 11 at the time, the director said to us..

We need lots of help. If you can help, we can find a place for you to help.

If you are here to help, we have a very few, but important ground rules...

#1 on his list was....they are all your kids. They are all special otherwise they wouldn't be doing the very difficult thing we are asking them to do. They are all your kids when you work for this corps. They all need your love and support.

We used that #1 many times...mostly when our own children thought they would get special attention because we were on the road. I can remember myself saying, "No one else is complaining. I know your hot. Everybody's hot. Get your water and get back out there."

I also remember my wife and I had a pledge to each of our children...if you don't quit by March 1, you are in drum corps for the entire summer. The corps is depending on you and they need notice if you don't plan to march. After March 1, you belong to the corps.