Cadets corps song

Whoever posted those lyrics (i'm not sendin PM for multiple reasons) has blatantly disrespected The Cadets. I don't care where you got the lyrics or who gave them to you.

I haven't disrespected anything. And if you're going to chastise me for posting lyrics which can be found in numerous public places online, then you should also be chastising the Cadets members/alumni who posted them, including the Cadets alum who corrected some of the incorrect words which were posted in this very thread.

I love the Cadets. I dig big-time corps traditions like that. I dig their corps song, and get goosebumps every time I'm fortunate enough to be around them when they sing it. I have many friends and colleagues who have marched there, and we've talked about that song and other Cadets traditions and history many times. I love that stuff. If I felt at any time that they would be upset if I knew what those things were, or if I repeated what those things were, I wouldn't post them. But the fact that they even let me know what those things are, as someone who never marched there, says as much about their non-secretive nature as anything. If these things are supposed to be a secret, why are they telling people who never marched there what they are or what they mean?

I have friends who've marched in other corps and they have traditions and stuff that I've asked about and they pretty much tell me that it's a members only thing and you have to march there to find out what it really means. I can respect that. I never NEVER was told any such thing by any member of the Cadets when it came to the words of their corps song. Not once. If it was such a secret, they wouldn't have told me to begin with, and it certainly wouldn't take 5 seconds to find the lyrics online.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

End of Discussion!!
Seconded
As much crap is on DCP about bashing whatever corps these days, I thought most of us had the sense to respect the marching members of DCP. Whoever posted those lyrics (i'm not sendin PM for multiple reasons) has blatantly disrespected The Cadets. I don't care where you got the lyrics or who gave them to you.

Yeah so we have a song. Big deal, right? We don't sing it in super secret quarters, but yet in public. So no one cares if you hear it. But GEEZEEE!!!! It's something totally different to write down the words and post them on the internet.

I already sent a report in, but can someone close this or edit the post or something? It would save a great deal of....i dunno whatever you want to call it....stress for some people.

You guys may want to speak with your own alumni, then. I did a simple google search and found the Garfield Cadets Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps which had little link that said "Corps Song".

All I can say is, jeezy creezy. <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard> Relax, people!

Edited by skajerk

Welcome to the close-mindedness of some people on DCP. I don't know why I still bother to come on here. Sounds like "Senior" needs to grow up himself and take a chill pill.

As for the Cavalier's corps song, it is indeed set to the Coast Guard song. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is also considered an unofficial corps song. What you normally hear the corps play is a medley of the two songs.

And, no, I won't tell you what "splooie" means; I just won't get so bent out of shape about it.

Welcome to the close-mindedness of some people on DCP. I don't know why I still bother to come on here. Sounds like "Senior" needs to grow up himself and take a chill pill.

As for the Cavalier's corps song, it is indeed set to the Coast Guard song. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is also considered an unofficial corps song. What you normally hear the corps play is a medley of the two songs.

And, no, I won't tell you what "splooie" means; I just won't get so bent out of shape about it.

Granted, you also come from a pretty chill corps :P. I wouldn't call it closemindedness

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Well, I think "splooie", "SUTA" etc... are well established as being for corps member's ears only. Corps, songs not so much.

As much crap is on DCP about bashing whatever corps these days, I thought most of us had the sense to respect the marching members of DCP. Whoever posted those lyrics (i'm not sendin PM for multiple reasons) has blatantly disrespected The Cadets. I don't care where you got the lyrics or who gave them to you.

Yeah so we have a song. Big deal, right? We don't sing it in super secret quarters, but yet in public. So no one cares if you hear it. But GEEZEEE!!!! It's something totally different to write down the words and post them on the internet.

I already sent a report in, but can someone close this or edit the post or something? It would save a great deal of....i dunno whatever you want to call it....stress for some people.

I don't want to get in the middle of this bashing war, and I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes when it comes to their corps traditions (the one I marched has plenty of our own...)

But common sense says to me, if the Cadets sing the song in public places, where people can hear the lyrics, then the lyrics would be common knowledge. Cavaliers yell splooie in public, but do not also yell what it stands for in public. I guess I just see a difference.

By the way, if it makes any difference...before they were posted, I had never even HEARD that the cadets had a corps song like that, and it's completely amazing. I will make sure to try and be around sometime when the members sing it, what an amazing tradition. I think we all respect each other here, especially over traditions. Let's just enjoy them for how much they mean to the members of the corps :)

You guys may want to speak with your own alumni, then. I did a simple google search and found the Garfield Cadets Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps which had little link that said "Corps Song".

All I can say is, jeezy creezy. <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard> Relax, people!

Yep, that's where I found the words before I even marched there. I was looking for it earlier but couldn't find it

As the years pass things change. Styles of clothing, what's "cool", and the norm. This would also apply to this topic at hand. I may have gotten a little bent out of shape (well I still am) that the lyrics are posted online (not just here). Thanks to whoever posted that link (no sarcasm), kinda shed some light/relief. What I was really upset about was that it was posted in full, in a major Drum Corps trafficked area.

As sacred as the song is it has been varied many different times. I can only imagine that this also goes for the rules of the song. The major one that we (new cadets) were instructed never to do was to write it down. I can only assume that this includes the internet and that it is sacred to The Cadets for numerous reasons. So, as the years have gone by I am positive that they have been accompanied by varying sets of rules.It's no "splooie" (sorry if I mispelled that) or "SUTA", but it carries the same weight. Would you ever yell "splooie" or "SUTA" with their respective corps??? What about ever?

I'm not trying to be an ******* about it, and I know the lyrics were obtained partially from alumni, but I can almost guarantee that if you ask any recent member they'd be a little more than reluctant to tell you the lyrics.

Just doin what I was told :)

"Angry Dude": you have NO idea what you speak of as a Cadet on DCP

"Angry Dude": you're still wet behind the ears and still nothing other than a rookie

"Angry Dude": your statements show what you're made of, not much of anything

I got this last night over aim.

Turns out posting one's thoughts and feelings on a message board carries over into "real life" now. Such a pity.

"Angry Dude": you have NO idea what you speak of as a Cadet on DCP

"Angry Dude": you're still wet behind the ears and still nothing other than a rookie

"Angry Dude": your statements show what you're made of, not much of anything

I got this last night over aim.

Turns out posting one's thoughts and feelings on a message board carries over into "real life" now. Such a pity.

Could you please clarify if that came from an alumnus or otherwise? I'm hoping it's the latter ... but your paste is leading me toward the prior.