Best tone quality and musicality you have ever heard?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one ever talks about tone or musicality. This thread will apply to any brass playing...hell woodwinds too.

I heard a recording of Hindemith conducting his "Concert Music for Strings and Brass" a while ago, definitely some pristine brass playing going on there. Bud Herseth is the sound every trumpet player should be striving for.

How about the opening of Cavies 2002?

Cavaliers ballad in 05 (Amazing Grace). Not my all time favorite show.. but every time I heard that ballad, I just felt completely swallowed up by the richness of tone they achieved -- particularly mid-voice.

The composer's intent dictates both. Then of course, the conductor or instructor throws in his slant on things. In corps it gets even worse with judges deciding (typically three levels removed) what would sound good and what doesn't.

That's a good point - the way something is arranged can drastically affect the clarity of the performance.

cavies 2002....

"Best Tone & Musicality":

1962: Madison Scouts

1963: Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.

1965: Chicago Royal Airs

1970-1973: Argonne Rebels

Elphaba

Hmm... rotor/valve corps don't compare to the tools the performers have today.

Also - for 4 years the Argonne Rebels had the"Best Tone & Musicality"? Seriously? Have you listened to anything in the last 5 years?

any John Simpson horn line

Wayback, can you give me a John Simpson "resume?" I've heard great things about him but I don't know what hornlines he did besides '85 Star.

St. Joseph's of Batavia 1969

Wayback, can you give me a John Simpson "resume?" I've heard great things about him but I don't know what hornlines he did besides '85 Star.

His resume'? I think the Bugler's HOF has a little bio

personally?

I was fortunate enough to watch him work with Sky Ryders in '80 & '81. Then I was with SCV in '82, & they came west on tour...

every night for that entire tour (including when BD was in attendance), goosebumps and hairs-on-end were the order of the day for all the other brassmen when Sky played Larry Kirschner's arrangement of "Here's That Rainy Day" - reserved and rich throughout, & the bottom... oy. For that time, I think they had the best contra section going. They were monsters (like a wall of Samoan linemen), & I think they were the 1st with the giant bell King contras.

I heard his sound follow him.

I think the most unique feature of drum corps - the thing that makes it essentially different from marching band - is the oral tradition of teaching brassmen in the arc. The bugler's art is different than what is taught in music school/conservatory/German symphonic tradition, in the manner of teaching at least, & I don't know how much of it survives. I am not knowledgable about current drum corps.

Sandra Opie, Frank Dorritie (sp?), Tim Saltzman (very different, but also amazing. student of Chicago Symphony's Jacobs)