Who copies the other more?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it again. I've seen High School Marching Bands perform better than Div. I corps.

I've seen Div. III corps better than high school marching bands. If you're going to compare, how about comparing the best marching bands with the best drum corps. Not the best marching bands with not so good. <**>

Any marching band that uses "corps style" is copying drum corps, and that seems to be most of them nowadays.

Any corps that uses "marching band style" is copying marching band, and that seems to be most of them nowadays if you consider the use of amplification.

All things considered though I'd say without a doubt that it was the drum corps influence that moved marching bands out of the dark ages resulting in what you see today which has closed the gap considerably between the two genres.

Edited by Russellrks

I personally would highly doubt that...if you mean the bottom half of DIV 1 maybe. But the top 17 or so can't possible be compared to any high school band....no matter how good they are. Too much time is spent preparing the field show in Drum Corps than there is Band so I think it's unfair to even compare the two.

And I think there's coping on both ends......that's how we came about amps.

I love DCI too, but I've got to give many bands credit. There are band shows that are as complex as a DCI show. Some of them start right after the previous season ends. There are bands that could possibly make DCI finals, IMHO, if they weren't disqualified for too many members, electronics, ww, violins, pianos, etc....

I love DCI too, but I've got to give many bands credit. There are band shows that are as complex as a DCI show. Some of them start right after the previous season ends. There are bands that could possibly make DCI finals, IMHO, if they weren't disqualified for too many members, electronics, ww, violins, pianos, etc....

Take said bands' brass, percussion, and guard sections and have them perform against a Div. I corps.

That would be a more balanced comparison.

I would say that in the 80's and 90's, drum corps was the standard that marching bands wanted to copy...

lately, however, with the success of BOA and other band organizations, SOME people in the drum corps world think that they should copy the marching bands...which, to me, is a big mistake. That seems to me like a Ferrari wanting to be more like a Honda Civic...

Heaven help us all! To think the activity has been reduced to this?!

I think there's copying on both ends.
Both entities - drum and bugle corps and bands - at one time each had their own individual identities, based primarily on quasi-military styles.

Beginning in the 1950s, some bands began imitating drum and bugle corps styles.

Today, those entities - both bands and drum "and bugle" "corps" - are indistinguishable as such, as both now attempt to imitate the Radio City Rockettes.

Take said bands' brass, percussion, and guard sections and have them perform against a Div. I corps.

That would be a more balanced comparison.

Except that BOA groups are scholastic with an average age of 15 or 16, while most top shelf Div 1's are much older and more experienced. There's no doubt in my mind that, as good as the top BOA groups, DCI Div 1 is on another level of achievement.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Except that BOA groups are scholastic with an average age of 15 or 16, while most top shelf Div 1's are much older and more experienced. There's no doubt in my mind that, as good as the top BOA groups, DCI Div 1 is on another level of achievement.

Not according to one poster in this topic.

Believe me, I MUCH prefer DCI over BOA. I highly doubt a marching band with 300 members can sound and look better than a Div. I drum corps.