Heat Wave Inactive?

From Heat Wave's web site:

Good Bye, Farewell

Heat Wave Inactive

ORLANDO, FLORIDA - May 5, 2007 - After substantial recruitment efforts, the membership of the Heat Wave Drum and Bugle Corps unanimously agreed to go inactive. Due to newly created DCA rules regarding minimum corps size, there are currently no plans to return to the field of competition.

According to the Board President, Bill Slover, "Heat Wave leaves drum corps and DCA with zero debt". In 2007 Heat Wave was able to raise nearly 50,000 dollars to bring the corps out of debt.

The immediate plan for the corps is to complete contractual obligations for performances. Many members have asked to stay and perform at conventions as well as other events.

Heat Wave would like to thank our fans and community for allowing us to be part of the local and drum corps community. The board would further like to thank the many dedicated members and support staff for a tremendous effort. Finally we would like to thank John (JJ) Johnson for his tireless efforts attempting to rebuild the corps.

Heat Wave Drum and Bugle Corps

Last Updated ( May 21, 2007 at 03:12 PM )

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in 2003, Class A finals, I remember the jokes me, and a few other people in the corps made that year, "Now, in Second PLace, the orange blue and white corps. In FIrst place, the orange blue and white Corps." Sunrisers took 2nd in class, and Heat Wave took 1st. This really sucks.

Chalk another one up to the all knowing, self serving DCA Board.

It always amazes me when someone who has been in the senior activity for what, 3 years knows it all. Where do you come off referring to the " self serving DCA Board". What have you done to advance the activity? I'm sorry to see Heat Wave go, but If I were a show sponsor who paid a sizable chunk of change to sponsor a show and one of the competeing corps showed up with 25 to 30 members, I don't know how happy I would be with DCA. DCA has come a long way in the last 30 years. They have tried very hard to expand the activity. They've turned the I&E's into a great social experience. They've pushed the Mini Corps activity. They added the Class A competition. They've even made it possible for the top 3 Class A corps to compete in finals. They have opened up regional entities, DCA South, DCA Central and they have santioned shows for the west coast corps. They've embraced the Alumni activity. What else do you want? Because Heat Wave decides to cease operations it is somehow DCA's fault. Grow up. Come back when you understand the facts.

Mike

This really sucks.I love heat wave and hate to see them go.I thought their move to do mini corps last year was getting them back on the road to recovery.

The 30 rule sucks.

I seem to recall much complaining about the 35 member limit...specifically that there was no provision for a group that fell between teh 35 corps minimum and the 21 mini corps maximum...I was one of those who bought up the possibility that a corps may not field because of this, and I was rounded on by some.

Guess what? I was right....

someone explain how a rule that kills an established corps is good for DCA again???

It always amazes me when someone who has been in the senior activity for what, 3 years knows it all. Where do you come off referring to the " self serving DCA Board". What have you done to advance the activity? ...SNIP.... Come back when you understand the facts.

Mike

I helped to get a new corps on the field .. and keep them viable ... and help them grow. What have you done? And how does that have anything to do with this HORRIBLE rule change that only helped to stunt the growth of DCA, if not kill upstart and reemerging corps?

What facts did I miss? SIR? I invite you to start your own class A corps from scratch in the midwest or south and help to make it a viable product that is financially stable and competitive .. then we can talk on equal terms.