The Cadets launch essay contest

This is exciting. I will definitely be making a submission.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed... and in mho, those of us that dont like the new stuff should be greatful for what they are giving us. Ive seen the new 'old' uniforms, and they look great. No singing, no props (i hope) no pink benches or funky characters, the return to 'the block', classic fast in your face music (relatively speaking)...the list goes on. I had the chance to hear almost the whole show with the narration a few days ago, and while im not in love with it, I think its great that george is focusing on one and only one of his 'innovations' and attempting to do it well, instead of trying to change the world in one year and doing a mediocre job.

Greatful ?? For what ?? LOL, Umm....I dont think so. I pay for a product, Im not going to cheer and applaud creatively defunct rubbish just because . Politically correct? Could care less. Entertain me, give me drum corps, not a high school essay contest......is there no end to this "envelope pushing" ...who sits there and says to these designers : Good idea, wish I thought of that.

~G~

Oh well. "I" dont want to be predictable and Im done on this subject. Seems every May/June, Cadets rattle our cages and us that dont favor it keep it alive and debate it ......Im not responding to this thread or subject anymore, I made my feelings known, Im over it, I cant change it. Good luck Cadets, have a great summer.

~G~

so if i enter and win, can i wear my corps' uniform when i am on the field with the cadets??

:D

Haha, I hope so. I may have to make a submission....

"I believe in the Church of Baseball. I've tried all the major religions, and most of the minor ones. I've worshipped Buddha, Allah, Brahma, Vishnu, Siva, trees, mushrooms, and Isadora Duncan. I know things. For instance, there are 108 beads in a Catholic rosary and there are 108 stitches in a baseball. When I heard that, I gave Jesus a chance. But it just didn't work out between us. The Lord laid too much guilt on me. I prefer metaphysics to theology. You see, there's no guilt in baseball, and it's never boring... which makes it like sex. There's never been a ballplayer slept with me who didn't have the best year of his career. Making love is like hitting a baseball: you just gotta relax and concentrate. Besides, I'd never sleep with a player hitting under .250... not unless he had a lot of RBIs and was a great glove man up the middle. You see, there's a certain amount of life wisdom I give these boys. I can expand their minds. Sometimes when I've got a ballplayer alone, I'll just read Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman to him, and the guys are so sweet, they always stay and listen. 'Course, a guy'll listen to anything if he thinks it's foreplay. I make them feel confident, and they make me feel safe, and pretty. 'Course, what I give them lasts a lifetime; what they give me lasts 142 games. Sometimes it seems like a bad trade. But bad trades are part of baseball - now who can forget Frank Robinson for Milt Pappas, for God's sake? It's a long season and you gotta trust. I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball. "

Somebody please submit this.

I wonder if I could win with something like this: "This I believe, narration while I'm trying to watch a drum corps is annoying at best. I believe a corps performance on the field should be able to stand on it's own feet without gimmicks and 'enhancements.'"

No no no. You submit an winning essay and when you go on the field you say what you really think! :P :ph34r: ^0^

I think that it is completely ridiculous that you all regardless of what happens, find a way to dislike The Cadets. They have given the opportunity to someone who does this essay in WHAT THEY BELIEVE IN, to share it with everyone else. The fans, the corps, the people that watch the show, anyone and everyone.

Yes I know this is a message board for people to express their feelings, but it's old now. Enjoy what it is that the performers are doing out on the field FOR YOU. Yes the activity has changed, and it will continue to change.

What did people think when everyone stopped high marking time, and actually did drill as we know it today? It was met with skepticism but look where it has brought us.

What did people think when the number of people allowed in a division 1 corps was raised to 135? They didn't want to change it, they wanted drum corps to be the way it was when they marched it, oh I'm sorry I really don't want to allow 7 other people each year the opportunity to have their lives changed by doing the activity that we say that we love?

To those of you who chose to only complain and criticize.......

You have been saying "I will no longer support the Cadets." Or I will boo at whatever it is that they chose to do only because I don't like what they're doing. This message is for you.

They don't want your support. They will do what they do with or without you. This activity provides invaluable lessons to those who choose journey through the ups and downs of the activity as we know it today.

The performers on the field deserve people willing to listen and watch the hard work that they've put into a program. Try, just try, when any drum corps comes on the field this summer, allow yourself to watch and listen with an open mind. You won't know if you like it until you see and hear it.

Think about the things that have CHANGED YOUR LIFE FOR THE BETTER, that you were once hesitant about doing or being a part of.....

Keep an open mind, and if there's something you don't like, keep it to yourself. Please be the mature person that you pretend to be.