What is your favorite Drum Corps Moment of your life?

Performing in the MSARP 2006!

Beat me to it, as did one other.

I too have several personal favorite moments, but being able to do it again, after 20 years, having my kids watch. It was unique and special.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being the first corps in 88 to beat Phantom(what a night, the next show having BD and SCV come by and cheer us on was really cool).

Having friends from CA, show up at DCI finals in Madison (87) and cheer me on.

Seeing 87 Sky at Mile High Stadium

Winning Brass at 06 DCA Finals, yeah its class A, but it still meant alot to me.

Some many more!!

I have 3 that are related.

1. Seeing my first DCI video in high school, which got me hooked on the activity. Crown was the first corps I saw on the videos, so they have always held a special place in my heart ( I believe it was the Chess show).

2. Watching Jersey Surf in Westminster in 2005. I saw them warm up and saw how much fun they were having and then seeing them perform a great show that night. Not to mention they had some cute girls in the hornline..lol. But seriously, that drum corps gave me the kick in the pants to march my age-out year in 2006. So Bob Jacobs if you read this- thank you for you corps inspiring me to finally march!

3. And finally, the moment after we marched off the field after Quarterfinals in 2006 with Pioneer and the onslaught (sp?) of emotions that followed. Knowing that I finally did it-I finally marched drum corps, that I acomplished a goal and did the best that I could! That was cool.

Winning Brass at 06 DCA Finals, yeah its class A, but it still meant alot to me.

Told ya, man...you should'a just got a trusted relative to stay with the wife and new baby and come out with us.

'Course, you DID miss the abominable weather....and the cold everyone got that took me 2 months to finally kick!

I have two:

prior number one - my first LIVE performance. I attended Spirit's leadership camp in 1983 as a high school freshman. At the end of the camp, all of the attendees played Georgia with Spirit's hornline. It was an incredible way to get your DC cherry busted.

current number one - fast forward 22 years. Being a member of CorpsVets and marching beside Hunter Moss(who played the solo on the day of my prior number one), then performing that famous solo! It's amazing how something so simple NEVER fails to make a DC crowd go nuts.

Edited by Murph

One of mine was the Sevierville, TN show in '90. It was the first time Crossmen had performed there since the corps was DQ'd at the same site in the 70's. We circled up before the show and Eric Kitch talked to the corps about the history and the greatness of what we were doing that night by simply stepping onto that field. It was one of those moments that I clearly recall feeling connected to the members that came before me.

Otherwise, my favorite moment was at finals performing the last few sets of the show in the same year. It was a blast and even as it was happening I had goosebumps! Still get them every time I hear or see the end of that show.

Hearing the words, "Holy Name!" in Whitewater, WI at Warhawk Stadium in 1997 directly before the downbeat of the show.

I do not think I will EVER experinence a Drum Corps moment to top the 1982 DCM Championship run-off between Madison & Phantom! Between morning prelims, evening finals, and the run-off - that was 3 amazing shows in one day for each corps. No regional championship show would ever think of attempting something similar in today's DCI.

Making DCA Finals in 1977....

The corps had disbanded end of 1972 season and was restarted early 1974 on a wing, a prayer, a crapload of bills and 50% total newbies (including moi). Set a DCA record for low score our first competition in 23 months and came in last at 1974 Prelims the following week.

Three years later we made top 10.... First time I was even IN Finals instead of watching. :)

And 19 years after that the corps won DCA. b**bs