What is your favorite Drum Corps Moment of your life?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest moment in my very short drum corps related life has got to be quarter finals Madison 2006. Blue Stars took the field and the crowd went mad before they even started and it didn't end until after they'd finished. Lots of Blue Stars alumni and fans that were so thrilled to see their corps back in div. 1. It was such an emotional moment. Seeing grown men cry like little children, people yelling and screaming. At that moment I felt what it meant to be part of the Blue Stars family. I felt humbled, thrilled, honored and soooo proud that I got to be a little part of the 2006 Blue Stars. And I know that that response gave the members that extra push to pass Crossmen in semi finals the next day.

I've posted these before, but here goes...

As a fan, I have to say the run-off at DeKalb in 1982 between Madison and Phantom. So tense and so intense.

As a marching member, it would have to be Whitewater Finals 1983. I think that was the night people realized we belonged, regardless of score or placement. At the end of the show, after our death chords, the place was going absolutely nuts. (Best ovation I ever heard for us, too.)Our manager John got up off the golf cart, stood up, put his cigarette out, and gestured toward the crowd, saying nothing. I don't know how many other people saw it besides me, but I'll never, ever forget it.

After following the activity for 30 years I consider myself very blessed to have a lifetime full of great memories. Picking just one is nearly impossible for me, although there have been some moments for me that I will cherish for the rest of my life. The first one that came to my mind while reading this thread would be the first time I watched the Madison Scouts hornline warm up for a parade in Horicon, WI in 1978. I don't know how to describe what I felt at the time, but this single moment absolutely changed my life. Never before had I heard something so wonderful (and this was them just warming up for a dumb parade). Being quite young at the time I often think about the tremendous impact that this seemingly insignificant moment has had, and will continue to have on the course of my life. Very interesting.

Agreed with the above.

A few that stand out in my mind:

- aging out

- my first performance in 2003

- Hershey in 2004 - I didn't realize exactly how many people I knew back home until that show and all of the people I heard yelling for me :D

- 2005 DCA finals - god that was emotional

- 2006 DCA finals - everything finally clicked

I have to pick 2 -

1975 Finals in Philly - playing plates for the Scouts, turning around near the end of "The Way We Were" and seeing and feeling the crowd go absolutely Nuts.

2006 (31 years later) Camp Randall Madison Alumni Corps performance- seeing and feeling the crowd again go nuts during and after the show.

Edited by bass5

My favorite Drum Corps moment is performing in my own hometown of Canton, Illinois. I remember performing with the 1979 Cavaliers in my hometown, seeing my friends coming to watch us practice and do the show. What a great thrill it was! It wasn't my best performance. In fact, I think it was one of my worst. But, it was still a great time.

Going to my first show and hanging out "backstage" at the 82 Bridgemen home show. Friend of my Mom's drove staff bus for BD that year, Told my Mom I was doing that when i got older. (I was 10 and didn't play anything yet)

Fast forward 10 years to inalt retreat in 92- playing Under the Sun- EMOTIONAL to say the least.

Being on VK staff in 92 and watching the Nashville show with Bill Price. We decided to sit on the ground in the endzone of Vanderbilt stadium so we could just watch the crowd reactions that night to see if some of the stuff we added played well to audience. Before the show started, we were trying to talk to some girls sitting next to us and couldn't figure out why they were giving us such blank stares. Turns out they were from Dutch Boy and didn't speak a word of english.

Anyway, VK was on fire that night and the crowd gave up about 6 standing ovations. It was such an incredible sight to see those kids get so much back from the crowd. Everyone should get to experience that at least oncein their lives. VK got that almost every night.

We have a winner! You guys were amazing that year. I loved being a few placements back so we could see VK and Xmen when we were at the same show. Since we didn't make finals at Preview of Champions, we got to see the finals performances. I don't remember VK specifically at that show, but as good as it was at the end of the season, it was fun seeing those two shows grow all season.

Dutchboy--ha-ha! French Canadians. Oxymoron. Kind of like turncoat and Benedict Arnold.

Mine is still '91 PR rehearsing in Plano, TX after 1/4's. In the rain. I was hooked! And those helmets!!