The Hopkins Paradox

The members of any given drum corps act merely as elements of the grander presentation. In performance, members of a drum corps must strip themselves of their individuality in order to better serve the virtues of the artwork. One can understand this virture by noticing that members cover their faces, dress uniformly, and most of all, dedicate enormous amounts energy in order to become indistinguishable from any other single element of the production.

The Cadets 2007 program celebrates the individuality and humanity of these elements and therefore contradicts the very virute of drum corps.

In order to better understand this, one might imagine a drum corps show as a painting. Both the painting and the drum corps show are isolated presentations of art. Both have form, formal elements, and a creator. In the case of the drum corps show, the creator may be more appropriately be described as a group of artists aranging the actions of the formal elements (members) in order to produce a single isolated piece of art (the drum corps show). The members of a drum corps show may be likened to the paint on the canvas. Both types of formal elements are arranged by artists in a certain way, and more importantly, both types of formal elements do not engage in any part of the creative process. The paint on a canvas has about as much say over where it is arranged as a drum corps member has over his or her music/drill.

Now I ask the drum corps fan to extend this metaphor further into the realm of humorous absurdity. Imagine, for a moment, that Mr. Hopkins was a painter. Now imagine that he decides to create a piece of art, as he is doing now, the subject matter of which is the celebration of the very creative process and formal elements of that piece of art. We would have a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting... ad infinitum.

Now, add the fact that Mr. Hopkins wishes to celebrate the individuality of the elements (the paint) that he is using to create this piece of art. One might imagine a monolouge scrawled out on the canvas that reads something like, "Boy it sure is tough being paint. I was manufactured in a production plant in Indiana, contained in aluminum cans, and shipped to a retailer in N.J. where Mr. Hopkins so kindly purched me for his artwork."

What we have in the Cadets 2007 program is a paradox that contradicts the very virtues of drum corps. I respect Mr. Hopkins very much. I believe that he is always doing what he thinks is best for the activity. I would argue, however, that he is creating a paradox through his approach. In the pursuit to bring more attention and acclaim to this very obscure form of art, I believe Mr. Hopkins as well as the entirety of the drum corps community should shift the focus off of the individual members and onto the intrinsic value of the product. If drum corps shows were more advanced and sophisticated a respect for the members involved would naturally come. Instead, Mr. Hopkins is attempting to reverse this procedure and puts the member before the product. The product should come before the member. The painting is more important than the paint.

As a member of the Cadets, I would consider myself no more of an individual serving the purposes of the show than my mello would serve my purposes as musician.

This, I believe is the attitude that will enhance drum corps.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm....wow.

So, every drum corps in the past that that has had some focus on individualism is okay...it's just Cadets 2007 that contradicts the very virtue of drum corps?

There is individualism in drum corps.

All of these arguments are getting so old.

Umm....wow.

So, every drum corps in the past that that has had some focus on individualism is okay...it's just Cadets 2007 that contradicts the very virtue of drum corps?

There is individualism in drum corps.

All of these arguments are getting so old.

There is and should be individualism in drum corps, the drum corps experience, what have you.

I just think there shouldn't be individualism in the drum corps show, or the drum corps performance.

There is and should be individualism in drum corps, the drum corps experience, what have you.

I just think there shouldn't be individualism in the drum corps show, or the drum corps performance.

Very well written article.

I have to ask though, are you a member of the 2007 Cadets? And if so, aren't you in Spring Training currently, and if that's correct too...why aren't you practicing or working on your dot book?!?!

(I'm just messing with you, from one Cadet to another, but really...shouldn't you be rehearsing?)

Very well written article.

I have to ask though, are you a member of the 2007 Cadets? And if so, aren't you in Spring Training currently, and if that's correct too...why aren't you practicing or working on your dot book?!?!

(I'm just messing with you, from one Cadet to another, but really...shouldn't you be rehearsing?)

Sorry I didn't clarify. Not a member of the '07 cadets... wish I could be despite my opinions having to do with the program.... what I wouldn't give to be working on a dot book. I marched '05.

Sorry I didn't clarify. Not a member of the '07 cadets... wish I could be despite my opinions having to do with the program.... what I wouldn't give to be working on a dot book. I marched '05.

Yeah 2005!

Congrats!

And got to love those dot book tests!

Interesting points made, some that I agree with, some that I don't.

On the whole "members=paint" argument, though, I have a strong issue. Let's not forget that half of art is the execution of the concept. While the kids on the field are rarely part of the conceptual process, the performing members are the execution of the design team's vision. Just as Da Vinci couldn't have painted a masterpiece without technical proficiency in his medium, Zingali couldn't have written landmark drill for the activity without kids who could pull it off. Sanford couldn't have arranged what he did without musicians who could actually play it, etc.

Don't take technique out of the artistic equation.

The members of any given drum corps act merely as elements of the grander presentation. In performance, members of a drum corps must strip themselves of their individuality in order to better serve the virtues of the artwork. One can understand this virture by noticing that members cover their faces, dress uniformly, and most of all, dedicate enormous amounts energy in order to become indistinguishable from any other single element of the production.

The Cadets 2007 program celebrates the individuality and humanity of these elements and therefore contradicts the very virute of drum corps.

In order to better understand this, one might imagine a drum corps show as a painting. Both the painting and the drum corps show are isolated presentations of art. Both have form, formal elements, and a creator. In the case of the drum corps show, the creator may be more appropriately be described as a group of artists aranging the actions of the formal elements (members) in order to produce a single isolated piece of art (the drum corps show). The members of a drum corps show may be likened to the paint on the canvas. Both types of formal elements are arranged by artists in a certain way, and more importantly, both types of formal elements do not engage in any part of the creative process. The paint on a canvas has about as much say over where it is arranged as a drum corps member has over his or her music/drill.

Now I ask the drum corps fan to extend this metaphor further into the realm of humorous absurdity. Imagine, for a moment, that Mr. Hopkins was a painter. Now imagine that he decides to create a piece of art, as he is doing now, the subject matter of which is the celebration of the very creative process and formal elements of that piece of art. We would have a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting a portrait of Mr. Hopkins painting... ad infinitum.

Now, add the fact that Mr. Hopkins wishes to celebrate the individuality of the elements (the paint) that he is using to create this piece of art. One might imagine a monolouge scrawled out on the canvas that reads something like, "Boy it sure is tough being paint. I was manufactured in a production plant in Indiana, contained in aluminum cans, and shipped to a retailer in N.J. where Mr. Hopkins so kindly purched me for his artwork."

What we have in the Cadets 2007 program is a paradox that contradicts the very virtues of drum corps. I respect Mr. Hopkins very much. I believe that he is always doing what he thinks is best for the activity. I would argue, however, that he is creating a paradox through his approach. In the pursuit to bring more attention and acclaim to this very obscure form of art, I believe Mr. Hopkins as well as the entirety of the drum corps community should shift the focus off of the individual members and onto the intrinsic value of the product. If drum corps shows were more advanced and sophisticated a respect for the members involved would naturally come. Instead, Mr. Hopkins is attempting to reverse this procedure and puts the member before the product. The product should come before the member. The painting is more important than the paint.

As a member of the Cadets, I would consider myself no more of an individual serving the purposes of the show than my mello would serve my purposes as musician.

This, I believe is the attitude that will enhance drum corps.

That's a very well written opinion. I have to say that in my experience, some of the most connecting shows have been without shakos. One of my favorite all time performances was the encore BD did in 2003. No hats, and they let it go! Would that show have won? No, but it was pretty cool to see the kids, and their faces, and the pure joy of performing.

I get what you're saying, but I think there's an interesting possibility of shifting from anonymous cog to connecting performer. They both have their place in every show.