Alumni spectacular

Keep the competition out of it.

That's for the kids, and the adults with lots of time to rehearse! (Probably less than 25% of the present over-21 drum corps population)

We're having WAY too much fun!!!!!! ^OO^

Besides, every alumni/tribute corps that I've seen has been phenomenal!!! :doh:

Competition would just make things crazy! IMHO

JJ

I am with you Jim it is all for the fun and the adventure of doing it all over again. Without the competition.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beagus is correct; it's for the fun of doing it all over again.

But just as important are the people you meet - both old and new. At Glens Falls this weekend, for example, I met some guys from Scout House who were in the corps that appeared at the Dream the same year I did. I also got to meet a couple of folks from Boston Crusaders and Saint Kevin's against whom I competed weekly during the Fifties.

And all this without the pressure of having to "be better than" any of them. It was most pleasant.

And on top of it all, four guys from Les Diplomates showed up at our rehearsal (in the hot sun).

All in all, a very nice weekend.

Andy

There are several indoor shows in the springtime months on the East coast..... Baltimore, MD, Harrisburg, PA, Elverson, PA, Rochester, NY, and other locales....that feature a number of alumni corps each year. The lineups tend to vary a bit from year to year.

One of the shows that's usually held in the spring.....Archer-Epler's "Brass Reunion" show..... is being held on Sept. 15 this year in the Philadelphia area.

Sorry to be so vague here, but it's up to the corps/groups that sponsor each show to determine the lineups for each show.

Fran

Beagus is correct; it's for the fun of doing it all over again.

But just as important are the people you meet - both old and new. At Glens Falls this weekend, for example, I met some guys from Scout House who were in the corps that appeared at the Dream the same year I did. I also got to meet a couple of folks from Boston Crusaders and Saint Kevin's against whom I competed weekly during the Fifties.

And all this without the pressure of having to "be better than" any of them. It was most pleasant.

And on top of it all, four guys from Les Diplomates showed up at our rehearsal (in the hot sun).

All in all, a very nice weekend.

Andy

The Glens Falls show featured the Hawthorne Cabs Alumni, Boston Crusaders Sr., Light Brigade (nee 27th), St. Kevins, Toronto Optimists, Scout House, and the host corps, Excelsior. It was a fine show, but the attendance was disappointing. Where were all the folks that are clamoring for good old fashioned drum corps? I hope Excelsior and the co-host Lions Club sponsors this again next year, but you can't expect artistic successes without a financial success.

Another fine annual alumni show is the one held in Plymouth, MA the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's in historic Memorial Hall, and features top alumni corps in concert. And of course, Plymouth is the place to be around Thanksgiving time. If not, the Pilgrims would have landed in Albuquerque.

The Glens Falls show featured the Hawthorne Cabs Alumni, Boston Crusaders Sr., Light Brigade (nee 27th), St. Kevins, Toronto Optimists, Scout House, and the host corps, Excelsior. It was a fine show, but the attendance was disappointing. Where were all the folks that are clamoring for good old fashioned drum corps? I hope Excelsior and the co-host Lions Club sponsors this again next year, but you can't expect artistic successes without a financial success.

Another fine annual alumni show is the one held in Plymouth, MA the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's in historic Memorial Hall, and features top alumni corps in concert. And of course, Plymouth is the place to be around Thanksgiving time. If not, the Pilgrims would have landed in Albuquerque.

What is the date of the Plymouth show ?

What are the corps invited ?

Which organization sponsors it ?

What is the date of the Plymouth show ?

What are the corps invited ?

Which organization sponsors it ?

Here's the Link: Plymouth MA Alumni Show

Andy

Here's the Link: Plymouth MA Alumni Show

Andy

Drum Corps show starts at 6:30 P.M. on Saturday. November 17, at Memorial Hall, usually featuring 7 or 8 alumni corps. (Yet to be announced) Last year it was Hawthorne, Blessed Sac, Park City Pride, Conn. Alumni, Crusaders Seniors, Light Brigade, St. Kevins if my memory is correct. (I think I left out one.) Other years, there were the Vallyaires, Manchester Muchachos, Mighty St. Joes, Kilties, Holy Trinity, and a few others. All units march in the parade that is the same morning of the show. The main sponsor is the Plymouth Rock Foundation. The night before (Friday, 16th) there is a free patriotic show at Memorial Hall. (no drum corps in this one)

The web site is www.usathanksgiving.com and the phone number for drum corps tickets ($25 I think) is

508-746-1818

Drum Corps show starts at 6:30 P.M. on Saturday. November 17, at Memorial Hall, usually featuring 7 or 8 alumni corps. (Yet to be announced) Last year it was Hawthorne, Blessed Sac, Park City Pride, Conn. Alumni, Crusaders Seniors, Light Brigade, St. Kevins if my memory is correct. (I think I left out one.) Other years, there were the Vallyaires, Manchester Muchachos, Mighty St. Joes, Kilties, Holy Trinity, and a few others. All units march in the parade that is the same morning of the show. The main sponsor is the Plymouth Rock Foundation. The night before (Friday, 16th) there is a free patriotic show at Memorial Hall. (no drum corps in this one)

The web site is www.usathanksgiving.com and the phone number for drum corps tickets ($25 I think) is

508-746-1818

November 17 is a date to encircle on the calendar for the Plymouth Alumni show.

I like the parade - show formula.

November 17 is a date to encircle on the calendar for the Plymouth Alumni show.

I like the parade - show formula.

I hope to see you there. It's a great weekend; parties all over Plymouth. The alumni corps are the feature, not just an adjunct to competing corps. If the weather is good, it's a beautiful combination of New England, history, and drum corps. If you like seafood, there are many excellent restaurants. Also a great Chinese restaurant, pubs, and the morning brunch at the Radison (where my corps, the Crusaders stay), can't be beat! :)